Senior Visual Editor - As Equals
Full Time Job
Location: London, United Kingdom
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it's like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Your New Role…
As Equals is a cross-platform CNN initiative dedicated to publishing challenging, engaging and sustained coverage of gender inequality globally. We are seeking a Visual Editor who will execute innovative and engaging visual and data journalism that support the mission and vision of As Equals.
As a Visual Editor you will help pitch, edit, art direct and execute visual storytelling on the digital platforms - You will execute everything from photo illustrations, data visualisations and interactives to emerging storytelling forms like AR + motion graphics. The person in this role will work primarily with the As Equals team to help shape visual narratives and coverage, while also collaborating with a team of visual editors and journalists across the organization. This is a player/coach role, where you'll have ownership over shaping story ideas while also being able to get hands on in building out projects.
As Equals is financially supported by, but editorially independent from, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The visual editor role is fixed term for 12 months, with a view to extension for the duration of the funding period (until Jan 2024), and will solely focus on As Equals.
Your Role Accountabilities…
• Identify and pitch visual story ideas
• Partner with other editors and reporters to brainstorm visual coverage ideas and find gaps in current story planning. Plan proactively for major As Equals projects and identify strong visual opportunities
• Assign and edit work by visual reporters and designers
• Edit and execute visually led stories for daily, long form, and breaking news as well as longer term projects, including maps, charts, infographics, animations, and mobile first interactives
• Collaborate with the Visual News team to refine standards and best practices for storytelling forms including data visualizations, mapping, interactives, photography, illustrations, and animations
• At least three years' experience in a journalistic setting, but likely more
• You are enthusiastic about excellent visual journalism and can share that enthusiasm with patience and clarity
• A desire to push visual storytelling forward and the ability to think creatively about how we use data in the service of journalism
• You put the journalism first, have impeccable news judgment, and are always asking ''what's the best way to tell this story?''
• A reader-first perspective and strong commitment to multiplatform storytelling
• You are an excellent communicator and feel as comfortable walking through a story pitch with editors as you do coaching a developer on an interactive interface.
• Some combination of: Art direction, visual editing experience, illustration, product design, user experience and prototyping skills (Sketch, Adobe XD, Zeplin, ProtoPie, Flinto, Principle etc.).
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, disability or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.