Senior Data and Graphics Editor, CNN Visuals
CNNNew York, NY
This was removed by the employer on 10/12/2022 5:05:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Animation/Graphic Design/Visual FX Category
Browse the Post Production Category
Search for Senior Data and Graphics Editor, CNN Visuals jobs in New York-NY
Search all Senior Data and Graphics Editor, CNN Visuals postings
Full Time Job
Location: New York, New York, United States of America
Every great story has a new beginning. We're excited to announce that Discovery and WarnerMedia have combined to become Warner Bros. Discovery. WBD is a premier global media and entertainment company offering audiences the world's most differentiated and complete portfolio of content, brands and franchises across television, film, sports, news, streaming and gaming. We're home to the world's best storytellers, creating world-class products for consumers. From brilliant creatives to technology trailblazers and beyond, join us as we step into the next chapter.
CNN Digital is the most powerful news brand on the internet, reaching millions of people across platforms and around the world every day. We are journalists, designers and technologists, all united by a powerful mission to inform, engage and empower the world. Join the most trusted and recognized name in news and be a part of a dynamic global team of smart, collaborative and thoughtful journalists doing essential work at a critical time
See what it's like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
At CNN Digital, we are committed to expanding our creative, visual, and data-driven journalism. Whether it's breaking news, explanatory context, investigative reporting, or enterprise storytelling, our data and visual journalists help tell the world's most important stories in compelling and incisive ways.
We are looking for a Senior Data and Graphics Editor who will be responsible for anticipating and executing high-impact, data-driven visual coverage during breaking news globally across all news verticals. This editor will lead a team of visual journalists around the world and partner with other desks across the digital newsroom. This is a leadership position on the visual news team that will help set our priorities, plan for breaking news, make sure we are serving our audience, and advocate for smart and innovative journalism. This role will report to the Managing Editor for Data and Graphics.
• Anticipate and prepare for breaking-news coverage needs for a wide variety of scenarios
• Lead the effort to prepare and build charts, maps and other components that can be modified and deployed in the first minutes and hours of a breaking news story
• Lead the development of data-tracking, automation and alerting systems designed to support and drive those data visuals in the early moments of a breaking story
• Work with other stakeholders across digital platforms to get them high-quality visuals in the formats that work best as quickly as possible
• Lead a team of graphics/data journalists focused on building our breaking news capacity
• Lead efforts to simplify and document the instructions for quickly finding or generating breaking-news data visuals
• Help journalists across the CNN digital newsroom learn and use basic charting and mapping tools
• Serve as a liaison between the Data and Graphics team and the rest of the CNN news operation
• Work closely with other desks to anticipate and create updating, live data graphics and maps for things like severe weather, earthquakes, wildfires, and more.
• Evangelize and advocate for data and graphics-driven storytelling at CNN, including brown bags, presentations for senior leadership, and relationship building, with a particular focus of integrating Visuals into the breaking news ethos
• Uphold and improve best practices for data and graphics-driven journalism at CNN Digital, including data visualizations, news graphics, interactive storytelling, and data standards
• 7+ years experience, ideally in a newsroom or similar environment
• Significant experience managing people, teams and/or projects
• Experience working in breaking news environments
• Experience considering, planning, and executing on news-information projects designed to best serve an audience during breaking and/or crisis coverage
• Deep commitment and proven track record of developing an equitable and inclusive team culture
• A passion for journalism, impeccable news judgment, and ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment
• Significant experience with creative, visual-driven storytelling
• Varsity-level communication skills with experience collaborating across teams and building relationships in a complex organization
• Strong editing skills across various formats and platforms: text, data, visuals, interface design, cartography, etc.
• Lots of ideas about what would make our work more impactful, serve our audiences better, and how we can work more effectively
• A desire to push data and visual storytelling forward and the ability to think expansively about how we use our medium in the service of journalism. You put the journalism first and are always asking ''what's the best way to tell this story?''
• Ability to handle complex projects, personalities, and logistics from start to finish
• If you don't have every one of these skills, that's OK. We want to hear from candidates who are passionate about this work and could bring their vision and ideas to the role. In your application, we'd love to hear a bit about your vision for data and graphics-driven journalism at CNN Digital - and what you think contributes to a healthy and sustainable team.
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.