Full Time Job
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
WarnerMedia is a powerful portfolio of iconic entertainment, news, and sports brands. We bring people, technology, and the world's best storytellers together to drive culture and meaningful connection. We believe the enduring power of stories can open our eyes to the world, to each other, and to new and different perspectives.
Join us. Shape your story here.
WarnerMedia seeks an Editor for the CNN department.
The Digital News Editor edits national breaking news content as a part of the national news desk for CNN Digital. The temporary editor will be asked to work as needed across the 24/7 national digital news team. News editors are multi-skilled and talented in that they know how to edit as an editor and read as a reader. They can curate and tag. They can SEO. They know what stories -- in either text or video -- should be linked up. They know when attribution is needed and when it's overkill. They know the difference between a first version digital story that is 'good enough to go' and when to hold to get more -- and when that line is unclear, they know to ask.
The editor will edit breaking news from writers on the national breaking news team.
• All Digital News Editors edit stories from a wide range of sources including:
• The digital news writers.
• Other writers across CNN Digital, worldwide.
• Contributors including opinion columnists and external contributors.
• Field teams who may not be able to sit and write but can give great material by phone, slack, etc on the ground from any corner of the world. Editors will turn that material into a story or a powerful anecdote in an existing story.
• Anywhere else in CNN -- we have interns, APs, producers, reporters and correspondents and anchors throughout the org who may get assigned or approved to write for digital platforms.
• Editors may be assigned specialty areas by shift, including being a second set of eyes on homepages or app alerts.
• All digital news editors will work with a wide range of copy from a wide range of writers. That means news editors must be excellent communicators and diplomats. They are excellent providers of feedback who help elevate CNN's storytelling across a wide range of digital platforms.
• Editors will be called on to write as needed -- their bylines will be occasionally seen solo or as a contributing name.
• It's a varied job -- some days may be fast and furious with edits on a single and fast-flowing developing story. Some days will have a wide range of pieces in different forms and formats to edit -- an enterprise story, a newsletter, an opinion piece, a story from a correspondent in the field.
• And last but never least: Editors are often the final step before a story goes to the programming team to get distributed to millions of people worldwide - all news editors work intently to make sure our stories are accurate and fair so that we continue to grow the trust between CNN and our audiences.
- The Essentials
• 4 or more years editorial experience
• College degree or equivalent preferred
• Experience editing fast-moving breaking news with a clear understanding of style and grammar
• Experience helping writers frame their stories for a national audience.
• Experience curating stories and other content for a digital audience.
• Ability to operate in a 24/7 environment
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.