Editor, National Weekends
CNNNew York, NY
This was removed by the employer on 8/19/2022 9:06:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Editor, National Weekends jobs in New York-NY
Search all Editor, National Weekends postings
Full Time Job
Location: New York, New York, United States of America
Every great story has a new beginning. We're excited to announce that Discovery and WarnerMedia have combined to become Warner Bros. Discovery. WBD is a premier global media and entertainment company offering audiences the world's most differentiated and complete portfolio of content, brands and franchises across television, film, sports, news, streaming and gaming. We're home to the world's best storytellers, creating world-class products for consumers. From brilliant creatives to technology trailblazers and beyond, join us as we step into the next chapter.
CNN Digital is the most powerful news brand on the internet, reaching millions of people across platforms and around the world every day. We are journalists, designers and technologists, all united by a powerful mission to inform, engage and empower the world. Join the most trusted and recognized name in news and be a part of a dynamic global team of smart, collaborative and thoughtful journalists doing essential work at a critical time.
See what it's like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
News doesn't stop for weekends, and neither do we! CNN Digital is redefining what it means to work weekends in a newsroom, leading the industry in covering the world's most significant news events and providing audiences with smart, engaging and unique counter-programming.
Our weekend staff is excellent, continuously breaking stories, writing distinctive features and setting audience and engagement records. We're light, agile and obsessed with producing strong, accurate and timely journalism.
We cover everything – from the pandemic and the racial justice movement to Tom Brady's seventh Super Bowl victory, Drake's ''Certified Lover Boy'' and so much more.
Join CNN Digital's National desk as a weekend news editor and you'll be at the center of it all, working as a best-in-class shaper and sharpener of stories and ideas.
• You'll edit breaking news and features from writers on the National desk as well as other writers, producers, reporters and correspondents across CNN Digital, worldwide.
• You'll edit in formats that go beyond the traditional article - including visual projects; explanatory work that helps audiences understand the news; and real-time breaking news posts.
• You'll edit work that is published and shared across CNN's mobile and desktop sites, apps, social accounts and other platforms.
• You'll shape story ideas and angles around complex topics. When a big story breaks, editors are often the point person to launch the first URL, keeping us sharp and fast on breaking news.
• You'll serve as a second set of eyes on alerts or on key pieces that need a good comb-through and/or creative punch.
• You should be just as excited to edit buzzy stories as breaking news and features. No story is too big or too small.
• You'll serve as a partner to writers in identifying distinctive angles on top stories, and in helping to make good stories great.
• You'll work with a wide range of copy from a wide range of writers.
• CNN editors must be excellent communicators and diplomats. They are excellent providers of feedback who help elevate CNN's storytelling across a wide range of digital platforms.
• You'll write as needed - your byline may occasionally be seen solo or as a contributing writer.
• A critical component of the job will be assisting with the live stories that are an essential part of our breaking news coverage.
• And last but never least: Editors are often the final step before a story goes to CNN's programming team to get distributed to millions of people worldwide; all news editors work intently to make sure our stories are accurate and fair so that we continue to grow the trust between CNN and our audiences.
• Willingness to work weekends: This is a weekend role, with a schedule that will include Saturdays and Sundays. Hours may include early mornings or late evenings.
• At least 4 or more years of digital editorial experience.
• Experience editing fast-moving breaking news.
• Experience helping writers frame their stories for a national audience.
• Experience curating stories and other content for a digital audience.
• A clear understanding of style and grammar.
• College degree or equivalent.
• This position is required to work in person at one of our US locations. WarnerMedia requires anyone working in our US workplaces to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions to this vaccine requirement are available to those entitled to reasonable accommodations for religious or medical reasons.
• Exclusive WarnerMedia events and advance screenings
• Paid time off every year to volunteer for eligible employees
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• Access to in-house learning and development resources
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.