Data Editor, CNN Visuals
CNNNew York, NY
This was removed by the employer on 12/22/2022 9:03:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Post Production Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Search for Data Editor, CNN Visuals jobs in New York-NY
Search all Data Editor, CNN Visuals postings
Full Time Job
Location: New York, New York, United States of America
Every great story has a new beginning, and yours starts here.
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery… the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are…
When we say, ''the stuff dreams are made of,'' we're not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD's vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what's next…
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.
See what it's like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
Your New Role...
This data journalist will be responsible for leading and providing editorial oversight for data journalism efforts across platforms worldwide. The person in this role will collaborate with a team of data and graphics editors and journalists across the organization. This is a position where you will be expected to pitch and execute stories as well as collaborate with others to create high impact visual and data-driven journalism. The position is based in New York, DC, Los Angeles or Atlanta and reports to the Managing Editor for Data + Graphics.
Your Role Accountabilities...
• Recognize interesting datasets and stories and pitch them to the Data Graphics team.
• Pitch and build static and interactive data visualizations for news and enterprise stories.
• Report, write and edit data-driven news stories, from breaking news to long-term projects.
• Collaborate with newsroom section editors to help them use data in their stories (e.g., scope and conceptualize pitches; find, compile or analyze data sets; test hypotheses; identify patterns; add context; explain findings, etc.)
• Work with senior editorial leadership and newsroom partners to develop and establish standards and processes for CNN's data journalism efforts, including:
o Acquiring data sets (scraping, records requests, etc.);
o Storing data;
o Analyzing data;
o Visualizing data;
o Open-sourcing data and analyses;
o How to use statistics and write about data and data methods in our reporting.
• Comfortable reporting and building graphics during breaking news with a strong sense of urgency.
• Review data, analyses, stories, visualizations and graphics to ensure they uphold rigorous standards and spot weaknesses.
• Develop and support newsroom tools that will promote data-driven work and innovative storytelling at CNN
• 3+ years of experience in a journalistic setting
• A desire to push storytelling forward and the ability to think clearly and creatively about how we use data in the service of journalism
• Experience with modern mapping tools (QGIS, MapBox, Maps4News, etc.)
• Ability to work with data to create/edit graphics, and significant experience using the relevant tools (R, Python, SQL, Excel, etc.)
• A reader-first perspective and strong commitment to multiplatform storytelling
• You're comfortable working collaboratively, individually and with cross-functional teams
• You are a varsity level communicator and feel as comfortable walking through a story pitch with editors as you do working closely with colleagues to edit data visualization
• You put journalism first, have impeccable news judgment, and are always asking ''what's the best way to tell this story?''
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation, or a range thereof, for roles that will be performed in New York City. Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Warner Bros. Discovery's total compensation package for employees. Pay Range: $85,540.00 - $158,860.00 salary per year. Other rewards may include annual bonuses, short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards. In addition, Warner Bros. Discovery provides a variety of benefits to employees, including health insurance coverage, an employee wellness program, life and disability insurance, a retirement savings plan, paid holidays and paid time off (PTO).
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.