Breaking News Writer, Global Digital News
This was removed by the employer on 2/2/2023 9:05:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Breaking News Writer, Global Digital News jobs in London-UK
Search all Breaking News Writer, Global Digital News postings
Full Time Job
Location: London, United Kingdom
Every great story has a new beginning, and yours starts here.
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery… the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are…
When we say, ''the stuff dreams are made of,'' we're not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD's vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what's next…
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
Your New Role…
CNN is seeking to hire a journalist who is passionate about global news to join our award-winning EMEA digital team as a breaking news writer in London. The successful candidate will thrive in a breaking news environment – nimbly writing and producing the big breaking stories of the day with accuracy, urgency and flair.
As a breaking news writer you'll work with a global team, picking up from colleagues in the Asia-Pacific region, to break and contextualise the biggest stories of the day across CNN's global digital platforms.
You'll have a deep knowledge of global news and current affairs and a curiosity and interest to expand it as well as an appetite to dive into new subjects and quickly get up to speed. Day-to-day you'll work on CNN's live digital coverage, collaborating with multiple teams to bring the best of CNN's reporting to a mobile-first audience. You'll also be adept at quickly breaking standalone stories out, and swiftly filing clean and crisp copy.
Applicants should have a deep understanding of how stories travel on the internet, feel comfortable with all major social media networks and know their way around key listening tools.
Your Role Accountabilities…
• Work within a team of writers (in a rota pattern) on breaking news coverage, flexibly diving in and covering any global breaking news story regardless of region or subject
• Write clean, clear and engaging copy that conveys to digital audiences not only what is happening but why
• Articulate breaking news in different story formats
• Collaborate with journalists from other (non-digital) teams
• Work with people remotely and across multiple time zones using excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Navigate quickly between different communication tools and distil what's editorially important
• Smartly frame/angle a story and suggest clever, compelling and accurate headlines to editors
• Adapt to different styles of writing depending on the subject and digital platform
• Contribute story ideas at daily editorial meetings and longer-term pitch meetings
• Ensure all journalism produced adheres to CNN standards and integrity
• Demonstrated experience writing breaking news at a global media company or another outlet with a large audience
• Comfortable working well under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Deep knowledge, passion and interest for international news. A curiosity to keep learning, to think critically and a strong desire to make CNN's coverage reflective of the world we cover
• Strong technical capabilities including working on different content management systems, news operating systems and audience analytics programs
• Perfect grasp of written and spoken English
• Understanding of journalistic standards and media law
• Self-starter with a history of delivering outstanding results
• Willingness to work unsociable hours when needed
• Knowledge of additional languages is desirable, but not essential
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, disability or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.