Senior Legal Counsel, Legal & Business Affairs APAC
Full Time Job
The role is to work with the VP, Legal & Business Affairs, assisting and executing business and legal affairs functions for all aspects of the CNBC Asia Pacific business. This role will require working with our teams in Chinese speaking territories. The role reports to the VP, Legal & Business Affairs, CNBC Asia Pacific, based in Singapore.
Ability to prioritise efficiently and communicate regularly and appropriately with other departments is essential.
There will be a focus on Chinese speaking territories so the ability to communicate and build relationships with the China and Taiwan teams will be essential.
The negotiation, documentation and/or contractual review relating to all activities of the business, including:
a) channel/content distribution agreements;
c) services agreements;
d) licensing agreements;
e) advertising sales agreements; and
f) marketing/PR/research agreements.
Support the VP, Legal & Business Affairs and Business Development team with renewals of existing partnerships and joint ventures, and assist in the drafting and negotiation of new partnerships and content syndication deals across the APAC region.
A solid understanding of the requirements of the Singapore MDA Codes (and equivalent codes/concepts in other Asian territories) in relation to programming, advertising and sponsorship, particularly as they relate to the editorial independence of news channels.
Provide finance/tax assistance as required, in conjunction with the finance teams.
Provide support in resolving potential or actual disputes across the business.
Ensure compliance with laws and regulatory requirements in Asia (including broadcasting laws and competition laws), implementation of internal policies and providing assistance and training to facilitate compliance with such laws, regulations and policies.
Working with the business to ensure all Intermediary Management System requirements are met when appointing third party representatives, and to identify advocacy bodies and areas in the region.
An understanding of concepts of copyright such as ''fair dealing / ''fair use'' and being able to advise the editorial teams on questions that are raised. Enforcement of the business' IP rights and brands (including trademarks and trade names).
Assisting with local entities' corporate secretarial needs in Asia.
As a trusted advisor, provide prompt, accurate and practical legal and commercial counsel to business teams as required.
Engagement and supervision of outside counsel as required.
This Job Description may be changed at the discretion of CNBC.
• Qualified lawyer, preferably with experience at a law firm in Asia, Australia/NZ, Europe or US
• Minimum 5 years of relevant legal experience, preferably from an in-house role at an international broadcast/media/entertainment company
• Significant experience in contractual and commercial law, and experience with applicable compliance and regulatory regimes, and with company law
• First class drafting skills, with a methodical and detail-oriented approach.
• Good general understanding of laws and regulations applicable
to an international broadcast/media/entertainment business in Asia Pacific
• The ability to consider critical key issues, assess and articulate legal risks (including likelihood and impact) so the business can make informed, risk-based commercial decisions
• Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
• Time management capabilities, client-servicing skills and problem-solving abilities
• Chinese language skills to facilitate dealings with China and Taiwan teams
• Must be able to work autonomously, have the ability to multi task and work under pressure. ''Can do'' attitude required
• Must be a commercially minded team player
• Solid drafting ability
• Strong interpersonal skills
The responsibilities associated with this position are not limited to the above description and may be modified at any time by the Company.