Newsroom Engineer, CNBC
CNBCEnglewood Cliffs, NJ
Full Time Job
Reporting to the Manager of News Technology, the Newsroom Engineer will encompass the development, deployment and support of Newsroom technical systems. Working within a team of News and Broadcast Engineers, the Newsroom Engineer will be providing front line News Room Systems support of all of the technologies that comprise CNBC's state-of-the-art cable network World Headquarters in Englewood Cliffs as well as its domestic news bureaus. A strong emphasis will be placed on the support of complex software systems and the hardware components they run on. The role combines project and design work with operational support. This role is an important bridge between IT and Broadcast skill sets across all teams, and blurs traditional boundaries in acknowledgement of the convergence in the industry.
The successful candidate will demonstrate proficiency in four key areas:
• Technical acumen with a solid hands-on foundation/technical background in IT technologies
• Attitude and aptitude to facilitate the steep learning curve that the work and training will provide
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to maintain calm in difficult On Air support situations
Detailed responsibilities include:
• Work with larger team to support new production initiatives and technology replacement cycles.
• Work with the larger team to identify and implement cost reduction opportunities as well as streamlining non-value added processes.
• Assist in developing budgets and associated timelines for small Projects
• Develop understanding of operational needs through liaising with operations staff and immersion in the operation's processes
• Remotely troubleshoot technical issues with non-technical staff
• Maintain relationships with vendors and supplier
• Ability to travel
• Ability to work overnights, weekends, holidays and variable shift work as required by Project and Plant support needs
• Minimum 3 years' experience working with IT infrastructure and systems
• Knowledge of broadcast television production and basic knowledge of associated technology.
• Basic knowledge of IT based technologies/processes including Networking, SAN and NAS Storage architectures, asset management systems, server technologies including hardware architectures, real-time systems and custom application development
• Networking and operating system trouble shooting experience in a broadcast video environment
• Strong background in all versions of Microsoft Windows Client/Server
• High degree of self-motivation and ability to work independently
• Eagerness to develop and keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies of our industry.
• Excellent interpersonal, written/verbal communication, organizational, and leadership skills.
• Proficiency in AutoCAD
• Knowledge of Inews system
• Linux OS administration experience
• Knowledge of computer based Financial and News tool systems such as Reuters, Factset, and Thomson etc.
• Be 'customer'-focused and have the ability to communicate complex concepts to non-technical groups
• Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, Broadcast Engineering or equivalent industry experience