News Editor, Cnbc.Com
CNBCEnglewood Cliffs, NJ
Full Time Job
News editors are the air-traffic controllers for CNBC.com's website and app. They direct CNBC's online breaking news coverage and oversee homepage programming for the web and app platforms. They work closely with CNBC's top managers and the full newsroom to ensure our readers know everything necessary to make fast, informed decisions in business and finance.
This is a full-time job based in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.
News editors should have the ability to stay organized when several major stories break at the same time. A plane might be attempting an emergency landing while the president is tweeting about trade, and oil suddenly takes a major dip. That's a Tuesday around here.
of a News Editor could include but are not limited to:
• Making sure CNBC.com is delivering all the top news of the day.
• Placing articles on the homepages, packaging art and related topics as needed and adjusting headline tone as needed.
• Editing breaking news articles and help reporters and section editors improve their online presentation.
• Writing breaking news as needed.
• At least three years of editing experience
• At least three years of daily homepage management
• Candidates should be accurate, fast and cool under pressure. The job calls for strong news judgment and involves fast-paced editing and directing a team of breaking news reporters.
• Detail-oriented planning and on-the-fly news calls make or break this job.
• A background in business and/or finance journalism is a major plus. An obsession with AP style and light photo-editing skills help, too.