Legal Advisor/ Legal Counsel
Full Time Job
The role is to work with the VP, Legal & Business Affairs and the rest of the APAC Legal Team, assisting and executing business and legal affairs functions for all aspects of the CNBC APAC business and carrying out some limited admin as required. The role reports to the VP, Legal & Business Affairs and is based on Beijing, China. It would suit a junior lawyer keen to develop general commercial contracting skills and learn about the TV business with a particular interest in business news.
Assist with the review and drafting of documentation relating to all activities of the business, including drafting distribution agreements and amendments, service agreements, licensing agreements, barter and media partnership agreements, advertising and sponsorship sales agreements, agreements for third party advertising and distribution representatives, and production agreements. Negotiation and responsibility for lower value agreements. Ability to prioritise efficiently, and communicate regularly and appropriately with other departments is essential. There will be a focus on Chinese speaking territories so the ability to communicate in both Chinese and English and build relationships with the China and Taiwan teams will be essential.
Support the VP, Legal & Business Affairs and Business Development team with renewals of existing partnerships and joint ventures, and assist in the drafting and negotiation of new partnerships and content syndication deals across the region.
Advise on the regulatory environment including the Regulations and Standards and Guidelines of SARFT/ GAPP, China and the NBCU News Policy in relation to programming, advertising and sponsorship.
Support the VP, Business & Legal Affairs, when resolving potential or actual disputes. Role may include document management, preparation of instructions to external counsel and summarising and communicating the advice to the business.
Ensure compliance with laws and regulatory requirements (including FCPA, broadcasting laws and competition laws), ensure implementation of internal policies and provide assistance and training to facilitate compliance with such laws, regulations and policies. Liaise with NBCU compliance team when required.
Work with the business and compliance to ensure all intermediary management system requirements are met when appointing third party representatives.
Understand concepts of trade mark law and copyright principles such as ''fair dealing / ''fair use'' and advise the editorial teams on questions that are raised. Advise and assist with enforcement and protection of the business' IP rights and brands. Advise the business on registrations and infringements. Work with the NBCUniversal IP team as required and communicate this advice to the CNBC business.
Understand data privacy laws and regulations (eg GDPR) and how it impacts the business. Liaise with NBCUniversal privacy team as required. Ability to communicate advice to internal stakeholders.
Carry out legal research and summarise findings to the team. Stay abreast of new developments in the law.
Assist with local entities' corporate secretarial needs as required.
Assist with other matters as required, which may include preparation of training materials to the business and some minor team administration.
• Lawyer that is NQ – 4 years PQE, preferably with some experience at an international law firm in Asia, Australia/NZ, Europe or US
• The ability to draft and negotiate contracts to a business standard in both Mandarin and English is essential
• A solid understanding of the principles of contractual and commercial law
• Good general understanding of laws and regulations applicable to an international media business in the region
• Excellent IT skills including PowerPoint, Word and Excel
• Excellent oral and written English communication skills
• Passion for the role with a ''can do'' attitude. Ability to ''step outside one's lane'' on occasion
• Ability to prioritise efficiently, and communicate regularly and appropriately with other departments
• Must be a commercially-minded team player
• Must be able to work independently, have the ability to multi task and work under pressure
• Solid drafting skills
• Time management capabilities, client-servicing skills and problem-solving abilities
• Strong interpersonal skills
The responsibilities associated with this position are not limited to the above description and may be modified at any time by the Company.