Data Journalist, Grow
CNBCNew York, NY
Full Time Job
CNBC has partnered with Acorns, the country's fastest growing financial wellness system, on the importance of educating current and future investors. We at Grow (CNBC Acorns) have built an editorial and production team to create actionable, relatable and uplifting personal finance and investing content which will inspire and empower everyday Americans to make informed financial decisions.
What you'll do:
The data visualization journalist will all act as translator for Grow's readers. They will take rich statistics and complex data sets and turn them into clear, concise, engaging charts and graphics for the website as well as help the newsroom's beat reporters find and distill clean data, ultimately producing both quick-hit and enterprise pieces that help readers quickly understand more about the topics we cover. This role will report to the Graphics Editor and the Senior Editor.
may include, but are not limited to:
• Acquire, clean and analyze data. Plan and produce data visualizations, including charts and maps.
• Coordinate with all appropriate editorial teams to turn both breaking news graphics and develop longer-term, data-driven enterprise reporting.
• Assist both seasoned and inexperienced journalists to improve their data research.
What you'll bring:
• At least 2 years of daily newsroom experience, including at least one year specializing in data reporting.
• A solid understanding of data analysis techniques and a working knowledge of data mining and web scraping.
• Some understanding of database and statistical languages such as SQL, R, Stata and/or Python pandas desired.
• A familiarity with a variety of data visualization and mapping tools, such as Datawrapper and Highcharts, and advanced visualization skills in tools such as Tableau and D3.js
• Experience or interest in business journalism or personal finance and investing topics
• Knowledge of financial markets and terminology
• Examples of recent work demonstrating solid experience in developing clear, compelling stories from complex datasets.
• Please note: Applicants will be required to be available during core business hours Eastern Standard Time
You'll stand out if:
• You have a passionate for and knowledge of innovative multimedia storytelling and strategic thinking across platforms
• You have a proven ability to generate creative concepts
• You have a strong desire to develop creatively
• You're able to think big, and to take direction and feedback
• You have excellent teamwork skills and a strong work ethic
• You have experience managing or working on a site that achieved significant growth on social media channels
• You have a desire to work in a creative and collaborative environment
• You have strong collaboration skills
• You're accurate, fast and cool under pressure. The job calls for solid judgment and involves efficient planning and flexibility as deadlines change on the fly.
• You're able to stay organized when several projects hit the desk at once.
• You have a background in business and/or finance journalism. A devotion to AP style helps, too.