Director Of Strength & Conditioning
Cincinnati RedsCincinnati, OH
Full Time Job
Department: Health and Performance
Job Title: Director of Strength & Conditioning
Reports To: Senior Director of Health and Performance
FLSA: Salary, Exempt
Job Purpose: This individual will assist the Cincinnati Reds organization by inspiring its players and staff to maximize their heath and performance via innovative program design, creative implementation strategies, and director level oversight of the Cincinnati Reds Strength and Conditioning program from the Major League level through the Player Development System.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop and implement holistic performance enhancement programs for the major league roster, and ensure consistent program development integration at minor league affiliates.
• Oversee research and development within the department to ensure sustained progressive growth of industry leading strength and conditioning practices.
• Implement continued education opportunities and oversee the long-term development of the S&C coaches in all areas of the strength and conditioning program including the organizations core values.
• Reinforce the organizational initiatives in terms of strategy, day-to-day operations, organizational culture, employee expectations and performance reviews.
• Collaborate with the Major League field staff to improve decision-making processes regarding performance enhancement and physical development, including individualized strength and conditioning development plans.
• Effectively work with our field staff on movement mechanics as it pertains to baseball skill acquisition i.e. the correlation between assessing and teaching human body movement for hitting and pitching mechanics.
• Work in collaboration with our Health and Performance staff on the rehab of players/protocols and their return to play schedules.
• Work within our integrated Health and Performance staff: Sports Science, Athletic Training, Physical Therapy, Mental Skills, Wellness, Nutrition, and Strength and Conditioning on items such as:
• Pursuing and onboarding innovative technologies that pertain to Strength and Conditioning.
• Nutrition initiatives for performance fueling considerations as they pertain to the physiological adaptations/demands from training and the highest level of athletic competition.
• Athlete centered holistic long-term development plans.
• Manage budgets for equipment and supplementation.
• Design of individual off season strength and conditioning programs for players, and organizational off-season performance camps.
• Work with players in the off-season and implement their strength and conditioning programs at Great American Ballpark or via player visits to their off-season residence.
• Approve and oversee all upgrades to weight room, weight equipment additions/deletions or maintenance at Great American Ball Park and Goodyear Baseball Complex.
• Hours may include nights, weekends and holidays.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Graduate degree in kinesiology, exercise physiology or related field.
• RSCC/CSCS certifications in good standing.
• CPR/AED certifications in good standing.
• Previous leadership experience.
• Independent judgment and ability to multitask is required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload.
• Strong work ethic and willingness to work long, flexible hours including weekends and holidays.
• High level of interpersonal skills and be able to effectively communicate with wide range of departments, seniority levels and personalities.
• Knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. The above description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Additional duties, as assigned, may become part of the job function. The duties listed above is, therefore, a partial representation not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.