Data Developer, Baseball Systems
Cincinnati RedsCincinnati, OH
Full Time Job
Department: Baseball Operations
Job Title: Data Developer, Baseball Systems
Reports To: Manager, Baseball Systems Development
FLSA: Salary, Exempt
Job Purpose: The Data Developer, Baseball Systems will work closely with the Baseball Systems team to maintain and enhance the Reds data ingestion initiatives to support the Baseball Operations staff. The Data Developer will be responsible for collecting, transforming, maintaining, and extending the Reds data ingestion pipelines including assisting in the planning, design, development, and testing to support the Manager, Baseball Systems Development. May be expected to write documentation to describe program development, logic, coding, and corrections. The ideal candidate has 2-4 years of experience building data ingestion processes using primarily the Microsoft technology stack.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work with the Manager, Baseball Systems Development, Baseball Operations staff and Information Technology department to understand department needs and develop technical solutions that integrate existing and future applications into the organization's information systems.
• Employ an iterative software development approach to ensure quick rollout of new or existing development tasks.
• Create specifications through gathering and documentation of user requirements as needed.
• Create, maintain, and optimize data ingestion processes.
• Develop database tables, stored procedures and views.
• Ensure data quality and query efficiencies of datasets for use by the Baseball Operations staff.
• Assist in extending our cloud platform.
• Provide ongoing database administration, support and troubleshooting of all baseball systems.
• Assist in other data and software development projects as needed.
• Adhere to Reds Information Technologies security standards, support protocols and server hardware / software build outs.
Experience, Education and Licensure:
• Preferred bachelor's degree or equivalent in Computer Science or Information Systems; advanced degree a plus; will consider experience in place of formal education.
• A minimum of 2-4 years of experience developing data ingestion processes; preferably with the Microsoft technology stack.
• Passion to seek and understand related and evolving technologies.
• Interface successfully with functional users and staff.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
• In-depth knowledge and experience with the following: SQL, SSIS, Microsoft SQL Server and Database Administration.
• Familiarity with MDX, C#, Java, Python, PostgreSQL, AWS and Azure is a plus.
• Experience with software development life cycle (SDLC) and agile development methodologies.
• Working familiarity with advanced statistical concepts, particularly those relevant to sabermetric player evaluation metrics is a plus.
• Passion for baseball, strong intellectual curiosity, and ability to work within a team framework highly desired.
• Candidate must be available to work non-traditional hours (various nights, weekends and holidays).
• Adhere to Cincinnati Reds Organization Policies and Procedures.
• Act as a role model within and outside the Cincinnati Reds Organization.
• Performs duties as workload necessitates.
• Demonstrate flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload.
• Meet Department productivity standards.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
The Cincinnati Reds are an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Cincinnati Reds to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, sex, age, disability, citizenship status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. The above description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Additional duties, as assigned, may become part of the job function. The duties listed above is, therefore, a partial representation not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
• How did you hear about this job?
• Please provide your salary requirements.
• Are you willing to relocate?
• How many hours per week do you research new & evolving technologies?