Assistant Head Groundskeeper
Cincinnati RedsCincinnati, OH
Full Time Job
Job Title: Assistant Head Groundskeeper
Department: Field Operations
Reports To: Head Groundskeeper
FLSA: Salary Exempt
Job Purpose: Assist in the management of the daily operations within the Field Operations Department for the Cincinnati Reds organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Direct the activities of the Grounds Supervisor and all Grounds Crew employees.
• Conduct training for Ground Crew Employees in the safe and proper operation of all equipment.
• Develop schedules, policies and protocols for Grounds Crew employees.
• Participate in the hiring of Grounds Crew employees.
• Develop procedures for the efficient operation of the Department.
• Record and maintain inventory levels for all supplies.
• Ability to work special events independently and make decisions that affect field conditions.
• Maintain, repair and operate sprinkler and irrigation systems including controls and valves.
• Ability to work rotating 24 hour shifts to remove snow and ice from County property.
• Speak to outside groups about daily operations at the ballpark.
• Fill in for the Head Grounds Keeper when they are unavailable.
Experience, Education and Licensure:
• Bachelor's degree in Turf Management, Horticulture, or Plant Science required.
• A minimum of 5 years experience maintaining high performance MLB baseball field required.
• Minimum of five years maintaining irrigation systems including valve and head maintenance.
• Ability to work alone independently without supervision.
• Employee must have an Ohio Applicators License with a category 8 endorsement.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Extensive knowledge of and experience performing mound, plate and field preparation including construction and care of a MLB playing field.
• Good customer service skills in responding to requests.
• Have the ability to establish workload priorities and manage a diverse workload.
• Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision.
• Ability to inspect own work for accuracy.
• Ability to adhere to applicable policies of work area and to work effectively with other employees and contractors by using excellent interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to respond with a sense of urgency and work effectively and productively.
• Ability to respond to daily pressure to meet deadlines.
• Ability to adapt to changing priorities, plans, and organize work to effectively to balance multiple projects.
• Ability to learn new methods, processes, and policies.
• Ability and willingness to comply with all safety rules, policies, and procedures, including biohazard and other regulatory requirements.
• Ability to assign tasks and direct the workforce.
• Employee must be proficient in basic computer skills required to use Micro Soft Office Suite and our HRIS employee software.
• The employee must be physically capable of moving about the Great American Ballpark facility.
• The employee must be able to work on construction work sites and under adverse field conditions.
• Employee must have the ability to work 24 hour rotating shifts to clear snow and ice from county property while working alone.
Tools and Equipment Used:
Sprinkler and irrigation systems, tractor, lawn mower, sweeper, blower, injection equipment, snow blower, parking lot sweepers, electronic distance measuring devices, motor vehicles, phone and mobile radio.
• A willingness to work long hours and a variable schedule including weekends and holidays especially during MLB season.
• Must be able to lift up to 100 pounds and be able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
• The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Work is performed in outdoor settings.
• Work is performed in outdoor settings.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions.
• The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places.
• The employee is occasionally exposed to wet, humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
• Adhere to Cincinnati Reds Organization Policies and Procedures
• Act as a role model within and outside the Cincinnati Reds Organization
• Perform duties as workload necessitates
• Demonstrate flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload
• Meet Department productivity standards
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. The above description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Additional duties, as assigned, may become part of the job function. The duties listed above is, therefore, a partial representation not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.