Center Theatre GroupLos Angeles, CA
Don't worry we have a lot of jobs on the site like this one;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Marketing/Publicity/PR Category
Browse the Theater/Live Events Category
Search for Junior Publicist jobs in Los Angeles-CA
Search all Junior Publicist postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Junior Publicist? POSITION TITLE: Junior Publicist
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Head of Publicity
DIRECT REPORTS INCLUDE: N/A
WORK SCHEDULE: (Full time/Part time) Full-Time
COMPENSATION: (Hourly/Salary) Commensurate with experience
Junior publicists work directly under Center Theatre Group's Head of Publicity and closely with playwrights, directors, actors as well as other theatre artists, producers and arts administrators on all of the earned media including, but not limited to PR in print, online, and broadcast and appearances by staff and associated artists. The junior publicist is responsible for assisting in the promotion of Center Theatre Group as an institution, its three venues (Ahmanson Theatre, Mark Taper Forum, Kirk Douglas Theatre), and its nonprofit mission's core components: artistic development, community and audience engagement, institutional advancement, and more.
1. Develop pitches and coordinate positive stories in the media about Center Theatre Group, its productions, programs, departments and other aspects of the company's work.
2. Write and disseminate press releases, listing announcements, press kit materials, calendars of events, press invitations, etc.
3. Serve as a liaison with tour press/marketing representatives.
4. Schedule and facilitate production photography, publicity photography and video calls. Caption, edit and disseminate photos and videos. Secure necessary approvals when necessary.
5. Implement press component of opening nights including inviting, seating and greeting up to 200 members of the media; provide reviewers with necessary background materials as well as photo and video assets; arrange photographic coverage and video capture of the event; work with society editors and columnists on event coverage; caption and disseminate photos.
6. Coordinate media events.
7. Respond in a timely fashion to numerous requests for information, photographs, etc., from the media, staff members and the general public.
8. Maintain strong integrity, ethics, and credibility in all communications activities.
1. Upload content to Center Theatre Group's website and other designated websites.
2. Actively monitor all relevant news outlets and engage with media, ensuring Center Theatre Group's involvement in current trend articles, in order to establish and reinforce the company's reputation as a leader in the field.
3. Establish, cultivate and shepherd relationships with all local, regional and national media outlets, in both traditional and digital media. Continually seek out new outlets and opportunities.
4. Work closely with other members of the Communications department to help in Center Theatre Group's social media strategy, including exploring opportunities to engage prominent digital influencers (bloggers, etc.) in promotion of Center Theatre Group and all affiliated activities.
5. Other duties as they arise. Center Theatre Group provides a dynamic working environment in which duties and responsibilities may change. Employees are expected to be flexible and responsive to changes in the scope of their duties.
A. Knowledge and Essential Skills
a. Must have exceptional oral and written communication skills.
b. Must have a strong command of the English language: speaking, writing, grammar, spelling, proofreading skills, etc.
c. Must be extremely well organized, understand the importance of following through on projects, and have the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
d. Must be capable of handling a variety of day-to-day tasks concurrently.
e. Must have the ability to interact positively and effectively with employees at all levels within the organization, as well as with the media, artists, vendors and the public.
f. Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Filemaker Pro and be generally computer and internet literate.
g. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
h. Ability to work evening and weekends as needed.
B. Education, Experience and Licensing
a. Required: Bachelor's degree (minimum)
b. Required: Two (2+) years of experience in the field including demonstrated pitching experience.
c. Required: Demonstrated experience in strategic media and communications, as well as experience with media relations, preferably those outlets focused on arts and entertainment.
d. Required: Current, valid Drivers License.