Center Theatre GroupLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
POSITION TITLE: Junior Publicist
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Head of Publicity
DIRECT REPORTS INCLUDE: N/A
WORK SCHEDULE: (Full time/Part time) Full-Time
COMPENSATION: (Hourly/Salary) Commensurate with experience
Junior publicists work directly under Center Theatre Group's Head of Publicity and closely with playwrights, directors, actors as well as other theatre artists, producers and arts administrators on all of the earned media including, but not limited to PR in print, online, and broadcast and appearances by staff and associated artists. The junior publicist is responsible for assisting in the promotion of Center Theatre Group as an institution, its three venues (Ahmanson Theatre, Mark Taper Forum, Kirk Douglas Theatre), and its nonprofit mission's core components: artistic development, community and audience engagement, institutional advancement, and more.
1. Develop pitches and coordinate positive stories in the media about Center Theatre Group, its productions, programs, departments and other aspects of the company's work.
2. Write and disseminate press releases, listing announcements, press kit materials, calendars of events, press invitations, etc.
3. Serve as a liaison with tour press/marketing representatives.
4. Schedule and facilitate production photography, publicity photography and video calls. Caption, edit and disseminate photos and videos. Secure necessary approvals when necessary.
5. Implement press component of opening nights including inviting, seating and greeting up to 200 members of the media; provide reviewers with necessary background materials as well as photo and video assets; arrange photographic coverage and video capture of the event; work with society editors and columnists on event coverage; caption and disseminate photos.
6. Coordinate media events.
7. Respond in a timely fashion to numerous requests for information, photographs, etc., from the media, staff members and the general public.
8. Maintain strong integrity, ethics, and credibility in all communications activities.
1. Upload content to Center Theatre Group's website and other designated websites.
2. Actively monitor all relevant news outlets and engage with media, ensuring Center Theatre Group's involvement in current trend articles, in order to establish and reinforce the company's reputation as a leader in the field.
3. Establish, cultivate and shepherd relationships with all local, regional and national media outlets, in both traditional and digital media. Continually seek out new outlets and opportunities.
4. Work closely with other members of the Communications department to help in Center Theatre Group's social media strategy, including exploring opportunities to engage prominent digital influencers (bloggers, etc.) in promotion of Center Theatre Group and all affiliated activities.
5. Other duties as they arise. Center Theatre Group provides a dynamic working environment in which duties and responsibilities may change. Employees are expected to be flexible and responsive to changes in the scope of their duties.
A. Knowledge and Essential Skills
a. Must have exceptional oral and written communication skills.
b. Must have a strong command of the English language: speaking, writing, grammar, spelling, proofreading skills, etc.
c. Must be extremely well organized, understand the importance of following through on projects, and have the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
d. Must be capable of handling a variety of day-to-day tasks concurrently.
e. Must have the ability to interact positively and effectively with employees at all levels within the organization, as well as with the media, artists, vendors and the public.
f. Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Filemaker Pro and be generally computer and internet literate.
g. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
h. Ability to work evening and weekends as needed.
B. Education, Experience and Licensing
a. Required: Bachelor's degree (minimum)
b. Required: Two (2+) years of experience in the field including demonstrated pitching experience.
c. Required: Demonstrated experience in strategic media and communications, as well as experience with media relations, preferably those outlets focused on arts and entertainment.
d. Required: Current, valid Drivers License.
COMPENSATION: The position will receive a competitive compensation. Center Theatre Group also offers a comprehensive benefits package including retirement plan options; escalating vacation, paid sick, personal days and holidays; and health benefits including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, employee assistance program, and life and long-term disability insurance.
ABOUT CENTER THEATRE GROUP
At Center Theatre Group, we believe theatre creates an extraordinary connection between artists and audiences. As one of the nation's most influential nonprofit theatre companies, we provide the broadest range of theatrical entertainment in the country at the Ahmanson Theatre, Mark Taper Forum, and Kirk Douglas Theatre. Whether it's producing new work through our robust artistic development programs or engaging people of all ages and backgrounds across Los Angeles through our community and education programs, we put theatre at the center of it all.
Under the leadership of Artistic Director Michael Ritchie and Managing Director/CEO Meghan Pressman, we recognize that our mission is only fully realized with the passionate efforts of our more than 180 full- and part-time staff. We collaborate across the organization to proudly continue our more than 50-year tradition of using the art of theatre to broaden horizons and illuminate new perspectives, be it on our stages, in communities across L.A., or with artists and theatre partners around the world.
As staff, we embrace our differences, celebrate our individuality, and share in our passion for art all while balancing professionalism and fun. We come together to see the shows across our stages, monthly all-staff meetings to share the latest happenings across the organization, meet-and-greets with cast and crew, opportunities to watch readings and rehearsals of new works, volunteer efforts around L.A., our hotly anticipated annual holiday party, playing with and cheering on our staff softball team, and outings to watch the Los Angeles Dodgers. And most importantly, we're committed to creating a safe space where the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion are rooted in all levels and aspects of our work, including through our staff-led Affinity Groups.
At Center Theatre Group, we aim to attract, nurture, and retain staff in a supportive home where we can all be our best selves. And we ensure that our staff, audiences, and artists are appreciated, empowered, and inspired.
• Candidates must be able to pass a background check
• Center Theatre Group is not able to provide relocation assistance for this position.
• The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified. Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
• Staff members are expected to consciously and continuously promote the mission, values, programs and impact of the organization.
Center Theatre Group is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, color, ancestry, disability, age, national origin, pregnancy, veteran/military status, genetic information or any other basis prohibited by law. Center Theatre Group will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We support, promote and embrace a diverse workforce.
Sell yourself by writing a cover letter that describes why you're the best person for this job. Send resume and cover letter, along with salary requirements
No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. Via email:
Please note that EntertainmentCareers.Net uses 'disposable' email addresses in our postings. They change frequently so do not post the contact information outside of EntertainmentCareers.Net as it will likely be invalid.
Employer will only allow resumes sent as an attachment.
Do not send in the body of the email. Apply Online