Senior Producer, - CBS Sports
CBSNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Senior Producer, (Race & Culture Unit)- CBS Sports
CBS Sports, a year-round leader in television sports, broadcasts a portfolio of events on the CBS Television Network, including ''NFL ON CBS;'' college football, including the ''SEC ON CBS;'' college basketball, including the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship; golf, including The Masters®, PGA Championship and PGA TOUR; and ''CBS SPORTS SPECTACULAR.''
In addition, the division includes CBS SPORTS NETWORK, the 24-hour home of CBS Sports, and produces ''INSIDE THE NFL'' for SHOWTIME. CBS Sports Digital's multi-platform offerings include CBSSports.com and the CBS Sports apps for mobile and connected TV devices; streaming sports news network CBS Sports HQ; 247Sports; MaxPreps; CBS Sports fantasy games; and SportsLine. CBS Sports Network is available across the country through local cable, video and telco providers including Verizon FiOS Channel 94 and AT&T U-Verse Channel 643 (1643 in HD) and via satellite on DirecTV Channel 221 and Dish Network Channel 158. For more information, including a full programming schedule and how to get CBS Sports Network, go to www.cbssportsnetwork.com.
CBS Sports is looking for an experienced and creative Senior Producer with proven editorial judgment who is passionate about content that is sensitive to, reflective of, and drives progress forward on issues related to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disabilities, and other cultural touch points. The Senior Producer will lead our Race & Culture Unit, under the guidance of and in close collaboration with CBS Sports' Executive Producer, the DEI officer, and Editorial team, to ensure CBS Sports content, from planning through production, is developed, examined and executed with a DEI lens. The Senior Producer must be able to develop strong, effective partnerships with contributors throughout the CBS Sports division, and beyond, to identify opportunities, develop priorities, and help shape the editorial direction for content at the intersection of sport, race and culture. The Senior Producer will manage the staff of the Race & Culture Unit, supervise contributors assigned to unit projects, and both produce and oversee the production of content.
• Be a catalyst for brainstorming, sharing, reviewing, news gathering, promoting and creating content that is sensitive to, reflective of, and driven to making progress on issues related to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disabilities, and other cultural touch points.
• Specialize in content development and storytelling involving the subjects of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disabilities, and other culture-based topics.
• Identify opportunities, develop the priorities and establish processes for the Race & Culture unit to ensure a diverse and inclusive approach to storytelling and coverage on all CBS Sports platforms.
• Serve as a lead representative of the Race & Culture unit to cultivate strong and effective partnerships with teams throughout CBS Sports, and collaborative relationships with CBS News' Race & Culture unit, the ViacomCBS ERGs, and other similarly situated groups.
• Be part of the ongoing editorial process to provide a DEI lens when reviewing shows and content.
• Partner with existing teams to ensure our content is intentional, inclusive, fair & accurate, and helps position CBS Sports as a leader in storytelling involving subjects of race, culture, diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Brainstorm and develop ideas for daily storytelling; define and implement (in partnership with relevant teams) major initiatives that navigate the intersection of sports, DEI and civil engagement.
• Develop, shape, edit and supervise all aspects of story production, including: research, story development, script writing & copy editing, crafting and editing packages, segments and special content.
• Work closely with the DEI officer, Production, Programming, Talent, Communications, Marketing and other departments.
• Offer creative and innovative ideas for more diverse and inclusive storytelling; recognize and help others develop pitches with high potential for compelling and comprehensive storytelling through a DEI lens.
• Effectively manage editorial processes and content production and supervise and mentor junior staff.
• Must be knowledgeable about past and current news events and able to identify future newsworthy pegs for coverage and content related to and reflective of topics of race, culture and sport.
• Broadcast journalism and production experience a must; control room & edit-suite experience, and understanding of social media
• History of working collaboratively across departments with peers and colleagues to advance content and coverage, and mentoring a diverse group of employees
• Demonstrated exceptional editorial judgment and understanding of broadcast production
• Proven ability at writing, editing and honing scripts and produced pieces even under deadline.
• Must be able to effectively develop ideas, manage story assignments and production, and supervise junior staff.
• Must have experience performing well under pressure, including a proven track record of pushing others to excel, even up against deadlines for air.
• Must excel at establishing and cultivating relationships and thrive in a team-oriented environment
• Must demonstrate exceptional communication skills and attention to detail
• Passion for and commitment to identifying, pitching, developing and producing diverse and inclusive storytelling
• Organized and efficient; creative and innovative; curious and tenacious; collaborative and assertive.
• Demonstrates strong sports knowledge, and enthusiasm for sports as a reflection of and outlet for issues across society at large
• Ability to work nights and weekends
• 10 years of relevant work experience in content creation, journalism, and/or production.
• Prior experience focused on DEI and/or Sports is a plus
• Bachelor's degree preferred