News Associate, CBS Sports
CBSNew York, NY
CBS Sports, a year-round leader in television sports, broadcasts a portfolio of events on the CBS Television Network, including ''NFL ON CBS;'' college football, including the ''SEC ON CBS;'' college basketball, including the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship; golf, including The Masters®, PGA Championship and PGA TOUR; and ''CBS SPORTS SPECTACULAR.''
In addition, the division includes CBS SPORTS NETWORK, the 24-hour home of CBS Sports, and produces ''INSIDE THE NFL'' for SHOWTIME. CBS Sports Digital's multi-platform offerings include CBSSports.com and the CBS Sports apps for mobile and connected TV devices; streaming sports news network CBS Sports HQ; 247Sports; MaxPreps; CBS Sports fantasy games; and SportsLine.
CBS Sports seeks a dynamic candidate to contribute to the news gathering and editorial support for studio and event productions. The ideal candidate for this part-time freelance role must be skilled at identifying news and emerging storylines; gathering and organizing articles and other sources for background, potential human-interest stories; and evaluating and summarizing key points of storylines or commentaries to enhance and support the coverage across CBS Sports and CBS Sports network productions. The News Associate must have strong sports knowledge, the ability to make quick editorial decisions, and possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. The ideal candidate is passionate and knowledgeable about sports journalism and storytelling.
• Monitor news feeds, including searching social & other media outlets, to gather and evaluate relevant news and information.
• Prepare news briefs on news across all sports, with an emphasis on NFL & college football.
• Maintain files of ongoing stories, upcoming events, and themes to anticipate and guide future coverage across platforms.
• Use deep sports knowledge along with strong research techniques to identify and write briefs recapping key storylines related to games, teams, and sports covered on CBS Sports productions
• Conduct a variety of searches using news sites, school/team websites, social media, and other reliable sources to support storytelling and coverage for all game and studio productions
• Provide story ideas for potential features, discussion segments, interviews, and other content to enhance the news and story coverage in all programming
• Deliver materials to preview upcoming events and shows to identify storylines to follow and provide background for developing angles.
• Brainstorm and support to the accurate, creative, culturally relevant, and sensitive, and thorough presentation of content throughout CBS Sports
• Proactively identify and suggest solutions to address potential coverage angles and storylines
• Prepare general background/research material for other entities as needed.
• Relevant educational or work experience in journalism, communications or production fields is preferred.
• Experience in sports studio/broadcast environments, or other sports media fields, a plus.
• Excellent working knowledge of and interest in multiple sports, especially NFL and college football
• Must possess strong research skills and editorial judgment.
• A resourceful ability to conduct research and a passion for discovering and sharing new knowledge is a must.
• Must have excellent writing and communication skills and demonstrate a keen attention to detail.
• Must have experience with variety of approaches to Internet searches and be fluent in electronic newsgathering techniques, including quickly navigating the Internet and best practices for utilizing social media.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously