Mornings Weather Producer
CBSNew York, NY
Full Time Job
CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major U.S. markets, the CBS News Streaming Network, CBS News Streaming local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nation's #1 news program 60 MINUTES, the CBS News Streaming Network, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH O'DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND EVENING NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBS News Radio and podcasts, Paramount , all digital platforms, and the CBS News Streaming Network, the premier 24/7 anchored streaming news service that is available free to everyone with access to the internet. The CBS News Streaming Network is the destination for breaking news, live events, original reporting and storytelling, and programs from CBS News and Stations' top anchors and correspondents working locally, nationally and around the globe. CBS News' streaming services, across national and local, amassed more than 1.01 billion streams in 2021. Launched in November 2014 as CBSN, the CBS News Streaming Network is available on 30 digital platforms and apps, as well as CBSNews.com and Paramount . The service is available live in 91 countries. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in today's digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast news division.
We are looking for a creative, passionate and hardworking Producer to cover weather for CBS Mornings! You're a curious storyteller who is interested in both telling the news of the day and explaining scientific concepts. From pitching to scripts to graphics, you'll use your vision and attention to detail throughout the creative process, as CBS Mornings seeks to tell compelling and informative weather stories while making sure our viewers have the most impactful and accurate weather information to start their morning.
What you'll do
• Work with the show's senior team to deliver on the most critical weather information as it breaks in the morning.
• Pitch and assist in the creation of climate and weather feature segments.
• Respond to breaking weather and work with correspondents to craft the weather story of the day.
• Work with our partners at The Weather Channel as they prepare our daily forecast hit.
• Work with the Control Room team to develop any graphics necessary for the Eye Opener, and other elements throughout the show's A block
• Monitor and analyze weather data to provide updated forecast guidance
• Play a crucial role during breaking weather events, such as hurricanes, ensuring the writers and banners have up to the minute accurate information
What you will need
• At least 5 years of news experience, preferably at a National or Top 10 market level.
• Must have a passion for weather - weather experience is a plus!
• On the fly decision making skills during late breaking weather events.
• Ability to recognize what makes for the most compelling visuals that drive home the impact of big weather to viewers.
• Ability to thrive under the most intense deadline pressure with phenomenal communication and excellent collaboration.
• Interest in understanding and improving weather communication
• Knowledge of weather and meteorology, including forecasting tools and technology
• Passion for understanding weather communication
• Experience field producing and with a prosumer camera desired
• Knowledge of IBM/WSI MAX software a plus
• This position is well suited to weather producers who have strong writing skills, or news producers who have a keen curiosity about science and the weather and are willing to learn
Hiring Salary Range: $110,000.00.
The hiring salary range for this position applies to New York City, California, Colorado, Washington state, and most other geographies. Starting pay for the successful applicant depends on a variety of job-related factors, including but not limited to geographic location, market demands, experience, training, and education. The benefits available for this position include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, life insurance coverage, disability benefits, tuition assistance program and PTO or, if applicable, as otherwise dictated by the appropriate Collective Bargaining Agreement.