Associate News Producer
CBSNew York, NY
Full Time Job
CBS Sports seeks a dynamic Associate News Producer to be a strong contributor to the news gathering and editorial guidance for studio and event productions.
The ideal candidate for this full-time staff position must be skilled at identifying news and emerging storylines; gathering and organizing articles and other sources for background, potential human-interest stories; and evaluating and summarizing key points of storylines or commentaries to enhance and support the coverage across CBS Sports and CBS Sports network productions. A strong Associate News Producer displays confidence in delivering context and recommendations for news presentations; and excel at collaboration with a variety of production contributors and on-air talent to maintain editorial standards across all presentations.
To successfully deliver editorial guidance to all productions, this Associate News Producer must have strong sports knowledge, the ability to make quick editorial decisions, and possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. The ideal candidate is passionate and knowledgeable about sports journalism and storytelling, enthusiastic about contributing to and committed to upholding the highest editorial standards of the CBS Sports brand.
• Monitor news feeds, including searching social & other media outlets, to gather and evaluate relevant news and information.
• Prepare and distribute news briefs, scripts for broadcasts, and key points for graphic or video presentations on news across all sports, with an emphasis on NFL, college football and college basketball.
• Communicate regularly with studio producers and other production contributors to discuss developing news and provide guidance on the presentation of that news within our programming.
• Write, edit and review scripts and graphics for accuracy, style and editorial value. This includes skills at writing to video and for broadcast news (ex. writing for voice over and packages).
• React to breaking news with an emphasis on accuracy, creative storytelling, and relevance to our productions and our audience.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, and communicate with urgency and clarity to producers, on-air talent and production associates.
• Demonstrate strong understanding of sports media production, including knowledge of studio television show content creation or similar digital video programming
• Discover connections between our events and developing news stories; and then provide ideas for how to tell those stories within our games and studio shows. This may include suggesting and gathering elements, potential guests, and details on alternative angles to enhance the telling of those stories.
• Serve as the leading editorial voice during live studio programming and partner with producers to generate urgent, effective coverage of breaking news.
• Under tight deadlines, educate on-air talent and other production staff on the key details of a developing story and offer perspective on proper context for presentation on our shows
• Coordinate with and support management and all production staff to maintain editorial standards for newsgathering and coverage on broadcast and cable platforms
• Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of on-air content
• Draft suggested questions and topics for interview subjects and analyst discussions.
• Brainstorm and support the accurate, creative, culturally relevant and sensitive, and thorough presentation of content throughout CBS Sports, including Production, Programming, DEI, Communications, Marketing and other departments.
• Maintain files of ongoing stories, upcoming events and themes to anticipate and guide future coverage across platforms.
• Use deep sports knowledge along with strong research techniques to identify and write briefs recapping key storylines related to games, teams, and sports covered on CBS Sports productions
• Conduct a variety of searches using news sites, school/team websites, social media, and other reliable sources to support storytelling and coverage for all game and studio productions
• Brainstorm and support to the accurate, creative, culturally relevant and sensitive, and thorough presentation of content throughout CBS Sports
• Contribute to and guide content development and storytelling involving the subjects of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disabilities, and other culture-based topics.
• Be part of the ongoing editorial process to provide a DEI lens when reviewing shows and content.
• Work closely with Production personnel, on-air talent, and content creators throughout the Sports division to pitch ideas, fact-check content, and respond real-time to questions and requests for guidance.
• Proactively identify and suggest solutions to address potential coverage angles and storylines
• Prepare general background/research material for other entities as needed.
• Excellent working knowledge of and interest in multiple sports, especially NFL and college football
• Must possess strong research skills and editorial judgment.
• A resourceful ability to conduct research and a passion for discovering and sharing new knowledge is a must.
• Must have excellent writing and communication skills, and demonstrate a keen attention to detail.
• Must have experience with variety of approaches to Internet searches and be fluent in electronic newsgathering techniques, including quickly navigating the Internet and best practices for utilizing social media.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Must be able to work with limited supervision while also thriving in a team-oriented environment
• History of working collaboratively across departments with peers and colleagues to advance content and coverage
• Must have experience performing well under pressure, including a proven track record of responding effectively to feedback even up against deadlines for air.
• Must be able to work nights, weekends and flexible hours.
• Able to work in a fast-paced environment under deadlines and prioritize assignments
• Experience at gathering visual elements, prepping graphics and editing packages for segments is preferred
• Must be a team player with proven interpersonal skills
• Role is based in New York, NY
• 3 years of newsroom or other editorial experience, preferably in journalism, production or related areas.
• Bachelor's degree preferred.
• Prior experience in sports journalism field is a plus