Assistant News Director
CBS NewsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major U.S. markets, CBSN, CBSN Local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nation's #1 news program 60 MINUTES, CBSN, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH O'DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations also produces the award-winning 60 MINUTES for Paramount . CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBSN, CBS News Radio and podcasts, CBS Mobile, Paramount and other digital platforms. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in today's digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast network.
CBS News and Stations is searching for a leader ready to accept the challenge of overseeing the day-to-day news operations at the company's flagship operation, WCBS/CBS New York.
We're looking for a multi-platform leader that commands the room and will push the team to commit to a true 24/7 operation. The inclusive, experienced, passionate leader with an eye on all platforms will become the next Assistant News Director at WCBS-TV, WLNY-TV, CBSN New York and CBSNewYork.com (collectively, CBS New York).
As a key leader at CBSN New York, the Assistant News Director will work directly with the Vice President and News Director on short-term and long-term content projects. The right person will help develop and track strategies and measure the success and identify growth opportunities. Quality journalism and a commitment to diverse coverage across all communities is a must for the next Assistant News Director. Additionally, the right candidate will help oversee correspondents committed to covering stories of national interest.
Qualified applicants will have a record of covering breaking news and weather. They will also have experience producing investigative, consumer advocacy and enterprise reporting. Someone with a history of recruiting, developing, and retaining journalists is also a must. Being a problem solver and creative thinker are also essential for this role.
• Act as the main newsroom contact to ensure content is being contributed across platforms
• Ability to leverage and apply research leading to audience growth
• Foster growth of journalists through feedback, performance management and training
• Ability to delegate and appoint newsroom staff into appropriate roles maximizing strengths
• Script review for CBS based reporters for CBS New York and CBS News correspondents
• Understanding of how to work well with people from all backgrounds
• Familiar with managing newsroom budgets and anticipating major financial challenges and changes
• (B.A.) from a four-year college or university is preferred with
• 3-5 years' experience in newsroom leadership role, preferably larger market