CBS NewsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major U.S. markets, the CBS News Streaming Network, CBS News Streaming local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nation's #1 news program 60 MINUTES, the CBS News Streaming Network, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH O'DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND EVENING NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBS News Radio and podcasts, Paramount , all digital platforms, and the CBS News Streaming Network, the premier 24/7 anchored streaming news service that is available free to everyone with access to the internet. The CBS News Streaming Network is the destination for breaking news, live events, original reporting and storytelling, and programs from CBS News and Stations' top anchors and correspondents working locally, nationally and around the globe. CBS News' streaming services, across national and local, amassed more than 1.01 billion streams in 2021. Launched in November 2014 as CBSN, the CBS News Streaming Network is available on 30 digital platforms and apps, as well as CBSNews.com and Paramount . The service is available live in 91 countries. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in today's digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast news division.
Interested in joining the team? The CBS News Streaming Network is seeking a New York based PRODUCER to join its 24-hour coverage team. The ideal candidate is proactive, creative and editorially rigorous. They will demonstrate a firm command of journalistic standards, a keen attention to detail, and excellent newsgathering and visual storytelling skills. They must also be calm and efficient during breaking news and, while based in New York, serve as a collaborative member of a global news organization.
The producer will primarily be responsible for producing live and taped programming across a variety of coverage beats including political coverage, domestic stories, breaking news, international stories, interview segments, reporter cross-talks and debriefs, medical, consumer, tech and cultural reports. This person must have strong news writing skills and a talent for producing compelling, visual segments on tight deadlines.
As a hardworking journalist, the producer needs to be proficient in all of the major storylines unfolding in the news cycle and have the ability to identify important stories that our viewers should know about. You enjoy working in a fast-paced news environment, pitching original ideas daily, carrying out day-of-air segments and pre-producingg special coverage, and rising to the occasion during breaking news events.
All applicants will be reviewed and considered for current and near-future openings.
• Responsible for producing political content
• Identify, pitch, shape and implement news segments with speed and accuracy in a fast paced environment
• Research and produce compelling segments that include quality sound, eye-catching, factually-accurate maps and graphics, and headline-grabbing banners
• Plan and implement content and formatting of show rundowns for a 24-hour streaming news channel
• Write and customize copy for anchor and reporter voices for live segments/readers as well as writing for feature and news packages
• Order original graphics
• Source and edit video elements, including from agency partners and social media
• Prepare anchors and correspondents ahead of segments
• Communicate with correspondents and producers in the bureau and in the field
• Copy edits scripts for grammar, syntax and substance (including fact checking)
• Work closely with the senior show production team and handle breaking and planned news coverage for a 24-hour streaming news network
• Communicate with control room team during execution of live segments
• Participate in daily staff editorial and production meetings
• Work with Digital Line Producers and editors to review and update segments after they air
• At least 5 years of broadcast or cable news experience, with recent experience at a national or global video news organization that covers late-breaking news
• Candidate must have strong political producing experience
• Candidate must have a comprehensive understanding of all things related to national and international politics
• Experience in political script writing and control room experience during special political coverage (Election Night, Debates, Rallies, etc.) is a must
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
• Strong editorial judgment, communication and critical thinking skills
• Impeccable grammar and spelling with attention to detail
• Familiarity and working knowledge of digital video production-related techniques and online content management
• Exhibits calm demeanor in high pressure situations, including control room
• Experience working in a live control room
• Command of AP style and broadcast writing
• Familiarity with ENPS
• Basic video editing skills
• Sophisticated knowledge of current events, geopolitics and pop culture
• Ability to multi-task and manage multiple assignments for regular programming as well as rolling breaking news coverage
• Deep understanding of news standards, rights and clearances and fact-checking practices
• Ability to work early mornings, nights, weekends and holidays, sometimes on short notice, as coverage and news priorities require, as this is a 24-hour news operation
Must pass comprehensive CBS News Digital writing test
This position is based out of the CBS News Broadcast Center
This is a position covered under the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the WGA-E.