CBS NewsWest Sacramento, CA
Full Time Job
CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major U.S. markets, the CBS News Streaming Network, CBS News Streaming local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nationâ€™s #1 news program 60 MINUTES, the CBS News Streaming Network, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH Oâ€™DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND EVENING NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBS News Radio and podcasts, Paramount , all digital platforms, and the CBS News Streaming Network, the premier 24/7 anchored streaming news service that is available free to everyone with access to the internet. The CBS News Streaming Network is the destination for breaking news, live events, original reporting and storytelling, and programs from CBS News and Stationsâ€™ top anchors and correspondents working locally, nationally and around the globe. CBS Newsâ€™ streaming services, across national and local, amassed more than 1.01 billion streams in 2021. Launched in November 2014 as CBSN, the CBS News Streaming Network is available on 30 digital platforms and apps, as well as CBSNews.com and Paramount . The service is available live in 91 countries. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in todayâ€™s digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast news division.
Sacramento, California, is looking for a content-focused, creative, dynamic Managing Editor who thrives in a fast-paced newsroom. The Managing Editor will craft news coverage for every single day, alongside the Assistant News Director, focusing on both short and long-term coverage, special projects, mentoring producers/writers and promotional planning. The top candidate will have the skills to handle the editorial content for all shows, breaking day-to-day news, regular mentor for producer/writers and work with Assistant ND on reporter mentor. Join the team!
• Craft a news coverage plan for the day, with an eye on long-range planning for the month
• Infusing effective use of the brand into stories and newscasts
• Review and approve scripts and rundowns to ensure a balanced, engaging, and brand compliant show
• Work with creative services producers on daily topical promotion â€'' story selection and script approval
• Work with reporters to go beyond traditional reporting to embody our Getting Answers brand, improve live shots, and look for solutions journalism opportunities
• Coordinate with Assistant News Director, Assignment Desk Manager, and News Operations Director to ensure all day parts can respond to breaking news situations
• Strong understanding of right of public access, public records, and other media laws issues
• Recruit and hire producers and writers
• Bachelorâ€™s or technical degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications preferred
• Experience as Executive Producer
• Proven track record in effective leadership
• Excellent organizational and communication skills
• Good news judgement and writing
• Strong breaking news skills EOE.
Hiring Salary Range: $99,360.00 - 111,780.00.
The hiring salary range for this position applies to New York City, California, Colorado, Washington state, and most other geographies. Starting pay for the successful applicant depends on a variety of job-related factors, including but not limited to geographic location, market demands, experience, training, and education. The benefits available for this position include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, life insurance coverage, disability benefits, tuition assistance program and PTO or, if applicable, as otherwise dictated by the appropriate Collective Bargaining Agreement. This position is bonus eligible.