CBS NewsSouthfield, MI
Full Time Job
CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major U.S. markets, CBSN, CBSN Local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nationâ€™s #1 news program 60 MINUTES, CBSN, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH Oâ€™DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations also produces the award-winning 60 MINUTES for Paramount . CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBSN, CBS News Radio and podcasts, CBS Mobile, Paramount and other digital platforms. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in todayâ€™s digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast network.
CBS 62 (WWJ-TV) and CW50 (WKBD-TV), the CBS News and Stations owned & operated in the #15 television market Detroit, is seeking a Managing Editor to join our growing CBS Detroit News Team. The ideal candidate has a proven track record in journalism at a major media outlet in TV or radio. Experience in a fast-paced newsroom with the skills to handle breaking day-to-day news as well as long term coverage planning is required. In addition, the ideal candidate will oversee a large team of streaming and digital producers, is an excellent writer, on-air talent coach, produce written and visual content, and appear on-air as needed.
• Review and approve scripts and rundowns to ensure journalistic accuracy and quality in accordance with station mission.
• Daily review of news product before and after air to ensure shows meet and exceed the mission of impactful journalism, quality, accuracy and stellar execution.
• Ensure thoroughness of coverage.
• Assist in evaluating, engaging and managing staff members to promote peak performance and productivity on tight deadlines.
• Coach and mentor on-air talent and streaming and digital producers
• Possess an â€œon-callâ€ mentality and be prepared to work under emergency or breaking news situations
• Ability to appear on-air, produce written and visual content as needed
, Experience, and Certification Requirements:
• Proven experience as a news manager and on-air talent preferred, with at least five of those years in a medium or large market.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills
• Exceptional news judgement and writing skills
• Knowledge of current events
• Must be results-oriented, innovative and demonstrate leadership and collaboration.
• Strong breaking news skills
• Ability to incorporate social media and new technology into all the newscasts
• Bachelorâ€™s or technical degree in Broadcast Journalism, Communications preferred.