Executive Editor, CBS News Confirmed
CBS NewsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Overview & Responsibilities:
CBS News is seeking an Executive Editor, to build and lead the CBS News Confirmed team. This team will be pivotal in ensuring truth in our storytelling and providing the highest journalistic standards. This is a critical leadership role accountable for coordinating and managing the detection, analysis, and debunking of deepfake content and other forms of misinformation.
Reporting into the Senior Vice President, Standards & Practices, the Executive Editor will be skilled in developing teams, news editing, social media verification, debunking online misinformation, reporting and digital media production. They will carry out and oversee political fact-checking; data analysis; and open-source intelligence investigations, debunking misinformation on a range of global issues from politics to economics and health.
include but are not limited to:
• Lead and develop a team of data journalists, political fact checkers, and verification producers, ensuring high-quality analysis and debunking of deepfake content and other forms of misinformation.
• Develop and implement strategies to detect and identify deepfake content, using advanced technologies and techniques.
• Launching a half hour show for the CBS News Streaming Network.
• Collaborate with experts to develop tools and methodologies for deepfake detection and analysis.
• Stay informed about emerging technologies, digital manipulation techniques, and emerging trends in misinformation
• Provide guidance and support to journalists in identifying and verifying deepfake content, conducting investigations, and debunking false information.
• Edit and review investigative reports and debunking articles, ensuring accuracy, clarity, and adherence to journalistic standards.
• Manage resources to meet pressure driven deadlines for air.
• Minimum of 15 yearsâ€™ experience as a multiplatform producer within news or factual content
• Minimum of 5 yearsâ€™ experience in daily news production
• Bachelorâ€™s degree in journalism, or equivalent
• Demonstrated leadership and management of journalists at all levels.
• Understanding of digital manipulation techniques, emerging technologies, and journalistic ethics.
• Superior writing, editing and data verification skills â€'' doing so while under deadline pressure, for short turnaround news broadcast items.
• Deep understanding of how to leverage research, analytics, and verification systems to tell stories.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced newsroom setting and adjust smoothly to changing assignments.
• Ability to interact with a wide variety of people using diplomacy, tact and discretion.
• Strong writing, grammar and AP style background.
• Proven ability to exercise strong news judgment and instincts.
CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major U.S. markets, the CBS News Streaming Network, CBS News Streaming local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nationâ€™s #1 news program 60 MINUTES, the CBS News Streaming Network, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH Oâ€™DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND EVENING NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBS News Radio and podcasts, Paramount , all digital platforms, and the CBS News Streaming Network, the premier 24/7 anchored streaming news service that is available free to everyone with access to the internet. The CBS News Streaming Network is the destination for breaking news, live events, original reporting and storytelling, and programs from CBS News and Stationsâ€™ top anchors and correspondents working locally, nationally and around the globe. CBS Newsâ€™ streaming services, across national and local, amassed more than 1.01 billion streams in 2021. Launched in November 2014 as CBSN, the CBS News Streaming Network is available on 30 digital platforms and apps, as well as CBSNews.com and Paramount . The service is available live in 91 countries. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in todayâ€™s digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast news division.
Hiring Salary Range: $230,000.00 - 260,000.00.
The hiring salary range for this position applies to New York, California, Colorado, Washington state, and most other geographies. Starting pay for the successful applicant depends on a variety of job-related factors, including but not limited to geographic location, market demands, experience, training, and education. The benefits available for this position include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, life insurance coverage, disability benefits, tuition assistance program and PTO or, if applicable, as otherwise dictated by the appropriate Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
At Paramount, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. Paramount is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access. https://www.paramount.com/careers as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by calling 212.846.5500 or by sending an email to email@example.com. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned.
$230,000.00 - 260,000.00 per year