Digital Journalist / Associate Producer
CBS NewsWashington, DC
Full Time Job
Digital Journalist / Associate Producer
CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major U.S. markets, CBSN, CBSN Local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nation's #1 news program 60 MINUTES, CBSN, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH O'DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations also produces the award-winning 60 MINUTES for Paramount . CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBSN, CBS News Radio and podcasts, CBS Mobile, Paramount and other digital platforms. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in today's digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast network.
CBS News is looking for a creative and dedicated full-time Associate Producer/Digital Journalist with great multitasking abilities. The primary duty of a DJ involves producing and shooting quality, compelling and creative visual content. The DJ is expected to respond to breaking news stories and direct a field team to be in place to report for all platforms. When the situation warrants, the DJ can act as a sole camera operator with a correspondent. The DJ is expect to regularly pitch ideas, contribute to original reporting, enterprise stories and the ability to work well under pressure to make deadline. A candidate must possess excellent people skills, a strong work ethic and enthusiasm.
• Shoot for breaking news, day of air, features.
• Able to quickly turn around critical information for air, verifying its accuracy while simultaneously getting interviews and video coverage of the news event.
• Ensure that all pictures and sound are of the highest quality and accurately recorded.
• Coordinates transmission windows for live shots and feeds to the bureaus
• Provide creative input, pitch, and develop/execute original stories
• Arrange interviews and location shots and produce content under strict deadlines.
• Maintain camera gear and keep it up to date in working order.
• Ability to shoot and edit video.
• Demonstrate an ability to set an overall visual look for assignments.
• Strong writing/reporting/package assembly skills
• Proactive, collaborative and possess a high level of creativity to tell stories with sound and images.
• Able to quickly turn around critical information for air - verifying its accuracy - while simultaneously getting live phone interviews, live video, transmissions and/or taped coverage of the news event.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities under difficult conditions.
• Work long hours when warranted, working through regular days off, weekends and overnight as this role supports a 24/7 business
• Able to travel for assignments for that could last days or weeks and abroad.
• Tolerate being out in the elements during extreme weather events such as hurricanes and blizzards
• Strong editorial, logistical and technical skills are essential.
• In depth understanding of newsgathering
• Trouble-shoot quickly and efficiently in a variety of circumstances.
• Take ownership of situations and take issues to resolution.
• Phenomenal interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to listen and receive feedback.
• Work under deadline pressure.
• Have a driver's license.
• 5 years' experience as a reporter/MMJ/producer or extensive field production experience at a news organization
• Proven experience in the field, managing story development and leading newsgathering efforts, especially in breaking news.
• Bachelors' degree in Journalism, or related field preferred