Desk Producer / News Writer
CBS NewsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major U.S. markets, the CBS News Streaming Network, CBS News Streaming local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nationâ€™s #1 news program 60 MINUTES, the CBS News Streaming Network, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH Oâ€™DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND EVENING NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBS News Radio and podcasts, Paramount , all digital platforms, and the CBS News Streaming Network, the premier 24/7 anchored streaming news service that is available free to everyone with access to the internet. The CBS News Streaming Network is the destination for breaking news, live events, original reporting and storytelling, and programs from CBS News and Stationsâ€™ top anchors and correspondents working locally, nationally and around the globe. CBS Newsâ€™ streaming services, across national and local, amassed more than 1.01 billion streams in 2021. Launched in November 2014 as CBSN, the CBS News Streaming Network is available on 30 digital platforms and apps, as well as CBSNews.com and Paramount . The service is available live in 91 countries. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in todayâ€™s digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast news division.
Overview and Responsibilities:
We are seeking a strong, authoritative candidate to lead the daily editorial content and assignment of correspondents for broadcasts on the CBS News Radio Network. The Desk Producer will produce long form continuous coverage, short form, and special event programming as warranted. The Desk Producer will coordinate daily and future news coverage. The Desk Producer will coordinate coverage based on the overall editorial direction set by CBS Radio News Network management. This position requires the ability to multi-task and prioritize in an ever-changing 24/7 news environment. The duties require the employee to come into the New York based newsroom with flexibility to work from home on a case-by-case basis.
(*) Requires professional be on call at least twice a month.
• Navigate programming and news coverage decisions for the network, ensuring balanced and accurate broadcasts that follow the format, policy and guidelines established by CBS News
• Coordinate feature event coverage/breaking news
• Host editorial meetings, provide direction and assigns story ideas and news events.
• Encouraged to take part in off-hours editorial and staff sick calls on a rotational basis*
• Leads all aspects of training of new employees and assist in creation of training materials
• 10 years' experience at a network, news station or media organization
• Undergraduate degree in Journalism, Communications, or equivalent field required
• Experience coordinating and giving direction to news employees to ensure balanced, accurate, and compelling reporting
• Strong interpersonal skills and problem-solving abilities
• Organized and strong attention to detail
• Strong writing and audio editing skills
• Self-starter initiative and ability to anticipate needs and plan for future coverage
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
Hiring Salary Range: $120,000.00 - 125,000.00.
The hiring salary range for this position applies to New York City, California, Colorado, Washington state, and most other geographies. Starting pay for the successful applicant depends on a variety of job-related factors, including but not limited to geographic location, market demands, experience, training, and education. The benefits available for this position include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, life insurance coverage, disability benefits, tuition assistance program and PTO or, if applicable, as otherwise dictated by the appropriate Collective Bargaining Agreement.