Broadcast Maintenance Technician
CBS NewsSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major U.S. markets, the CBS News Streaming Network, CBS News Streaming local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nationâ€™s #1 news program 60 MINUTES, the CBS News Streaming Network, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH Oâ€™DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND EVENING NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBS News Radio and podcasts, Paramount , all digital platforms, and the CBS News Streaming Network, the premier 24/7 anchored streaming news service that is available free to everyone with access to the internet. The CBS News Streaming Network is the destination for breaking news, live events, original reporting and storytelling, and programs from CBS News and Stationsâ€™ top anchors and correspondents working locally, nationally and around the globe. CBS Newsâ€™ streaming services, across national and local, amassed more than 1.01 billion streams in 2021. Launched in November 2014 as CBSN, the CBS News Streaming Network is available on 30 digital platforms and apps, as well as CBSNews.com and Paramount . The service is available live in 91 countries. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in todayâ€™s digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast news division.
CBS and CW network owned and operated local station is looking for a motivated individual to work in a team environment to realize multiple ongoing technical projects, assist in maintaining the technical facilities at our studios in downtown San Francisco as well as our transmitters at Sutro Tower and remote ENG locations. Applicants should have at least two (2) years of direct, hands-on experience in television broadcast, production and IT network equipment integration and maintenance.
Description of Responsibilities:
Local Union represented Broadcast Engineers take direction from the Engineering Management Team to implement a variety of capital projects, as well as maintain and resolve issues with equipment throughout the studio plant and remote RF sites.
The position requires an engineer with a positive demeanor and the ability to react well to changing conditions that are present in a 24/7/365 broadcast facility. Experience installing, configuring and fixing studio equipment from a range of manufacturers (e.g. Sony, Grass Valley, Pesa, Evertz, Calrec, Ross, Dell and others) is preferred and applicants references to specific major broadcast systems should be provided.
• Must have a valid driver's license and be able to travel, bend, lift, and carry up to 50 pounds, climb ladders and/or step stools to maintain equipment.
• Computer proficiency in MS Windows including MS Office, Outlook and Visio. Solid understanding of IP networking, file system infrastructure, software installation/update practices and experience using FTP, telnet and terminal applications with serial interfaces.
• Basic knowledge navigating Mac OS X including application installation, file system basics and network configuration.
• Solid grasp of RF fundamentals: 2-way, cellular, point-to-point microwave and wireless networking systems.
• Proficient in handling test equipment: spectrum analyzers, bitstream analyzers, oscilloscopes and digital multi-meters.
• Cable fabrication and termination experience.
• Experience with ENG vehicle maintenance: hydraulic masts, D-TEC II safety systems, generators, DC power systems, general automotive maintenance.
• Understanding of SD/HD digital video, signal routing and processing equipment.
• Experience with satellite downlinks and configuring digital IRDs.
• Understanding of the major digital video file formats, their chief characteristics, common format containers and metadata usage.
• Fluent understanding and the ability to read wiring diagrams, flowcharts and schematics.
• Solid understanding and experience working with high-power RF television transmitters. Vendor transmitter training is a plus.
• CAD drawing and editing experience with AutoCAD and/or Visio.
• Single and multi-mode fiber optic cable splicing and terminating experience.
• In depth knowledge of broadcast standards and PSIP fundamentals.
• Direct experience working with Harmonic Electra encoders.
• Direct experience working on Gates ULXTE & Diamond digital transmitters.
• Experience configuring workflows in Telestream Vantage.
• Experience working in MS-DOS, Unix and Linux command-line and GUI-based systems.
• College degree preferred.