Broadcast Associate, CBS Evening News
Full Time Job
CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major U.S. markets, CBSN, CBSN Local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nation's #1 news program 60 MINUTES, CBSN, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH O'DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations also produces the award-winning 60 MINUTES for Paramount . CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBSN, CBS News Radio and podcasts, CBS Mobile, Paramount and other digital platforms. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in today's digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast network.
The CBS Evening News Broadcast Associate is an entry-level position which supports all members of the broadcast. Based in the Washington, DC bureau and currently not a remote work set up. Staff continues to work inside the DC Bureau.
The ideal candidate is a team player with exceptional organizational skills, is detail-oriented, and has the ability to manage multiple tasks. The role requires keeping a calm head under pressure while maintaining a positive attitude.
A good knowledge of Washington DC political key figures is desired. Candidate should be familiar with important stories on a day-to-day basis and stay up to date on DC related topics.
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- General news desk duties (answer telephones, various administrative assignments).
- Assist producers in various capacities (transcribe tape, retrieve archive tape, research stories, clearing video/photos for air).
- Set up logistics for Zoom interviews and log interviews for producers.
- Log data for various Washington, DC political hearings, trials, and press conferences (i.e. Capitol Hill, White House, Department of Justice and National Security beats).
- Occasionally asked to field produce live shots for Correspondents.
- Prepare (''break'') scripts nightly for Anchor.
- Attend twice daily rundown meetings (morning and afternoon). Pitch stories that demonstrate a sound news judgment.
- Assist Producers in all CBS News' bureaus as needed (feeding tape, etc.).
- College degree preferred.
- Internship or comparable proven experience working on a news broadcast.
- Prior work in a newsroom setting is preferred.
- Able to work under pressure and under strict deadlines.
- Strong communication (written and verbal) and organizational skills.
- Able to work occasional weekends.
- An interest in Washington politics and policy.
- Must be available for a variety of weekly shifts (Monday to Friday or Wednesday to Sunday)