Associate Producer, Booking
CBS NewsWashington, DC
Full Time Job
CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major U.S. markets, the CBS News Streaming Network, CBS News Streaming local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nation's #1 news program 60 MINUTES, the CBS News Streaming Network, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH O'DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND EVENING NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBS News Radio and podcasts, Paramount , all digital platforms, and the CBS News Streaming Network, the premier 24/7 anchored streaming news service that is available free to everyone with access to the internet. The CBS News Streaming Network is the destination for breaking news, live events, original reporting and storytelling, and programs from CBS News and Stations' top anchors and correspondents working locally, nationally and around the globe. CBS News' streaming services, across national and local, amassed more than 1.01 billion streams in 2021. Launched in November 2014 as CBSN, the CBS News Streaming Network is available on 30 digital platforms and apps, as well as CBSNews.com and Paramount . The service is available live in 91 countries. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in today's digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast news division.
Seeking a hard-working, creative, and enthusiastic Associate Producer with strong story development and booking skills! This Associate Producer pitches new stories, develops relationships, as well as various figures in the news. They follow leads, book guests for daily coverage, conduct pre-interviews, and facilitate logistics on a wide variety of segments including breaking news, politics, entertainment, feature stories, consumer, business, and medical news.
Candidates must have strong editorial skills, relationships with publicists, attorneys, and companies, as well as strong relationship-building skills. The ideal candidate is able to take initiative by making calls and can demonstrate proof of performance on past news stories. This position requires high energy, persistence, judgement, as well as an understanding of TV newsgathering. This person must have the ability to optimally communicate internally with newsroom managers, producers in other regions, as well as externally with guests and contacts. Candidates must be adaptable with travel requirements and changing schedules as the position will, at times, require travel to various locations on short notice where breaking news is unfolding.
• 2 years producing experience in a professional newsroom is required.
• Must have proven news judgment and experience chasing breaking news.
• Mastery of the broadcast newsgathering process is preferred; basic knowledge is required.
• Field experience is strongly preferred.
• Strong research skills including working with public and private records databases, such as Lexis Nexis, is required.
• Must be an excellent writer with well-developed oral communication skills, especially when working on sensitive stories.
• Must be able to juggle and prioritize multiple segments with different deadlines: short, medium, and long-term.
• Must have the ability to manage ongoing relationships with external contributors, news outlets and other team members.
• Must be collaborative and have a positive outlook.
• Experience supporting newsgathering teams in the field using solid news judgment and leadership skills is a plus.
• Thrives in fast paced and time-critical situations.
• Degree in broadcast journalism or related field is preferred.
• Passion for news, journalism, and storytelling is required.
• Must be willing and able to work occasional overnight and/or weekend shifts