CBS NewsSouthfield, MI
Full Time Job
CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major U.S. markets, CBSN, CBSN Local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nation's #1 news program 60 MINUTES, CBSN, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH O'DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations also produces the award-winning 60 MINUTES for Paramount . CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBSN, CBS News Radio and podcasts, CBS Mobile, Paramount and other digital platforms. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in today's digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast network.
CBS 62 (WWJ-TV) and CW50 (WKBD-TV), the CBS News and Stations owned & operated in the #15 television market Detroit, is seeking a highly driven Assignment Editor that thrives on beating the competition and getting the story not just first but right. Your demeanor is naturally geared towards pursuing smart, relevant, breaking news, while maintaining the utmost professionalism. Come bring your talents and join our growing CBS Detroit News Team.
• The Assignment Editor will work with Reporters, Producers, and the Digital team on daily news coverage. We welcome a candidate who is firm and proficient in handling crews, breaking news stories and timely news content within broadcast and digital. Additionally, you should be able to effectively develop issue-oriented enterprise stories with an emphasis on key topics that accrue to our brand.
• Ideate and develop relevant story ideas with an emphasis on the community which we serve. As well, operate as a valued ambassador with external partners by establishing relationships and contacts within law enforcement, fire departments, local government and community organizations to stay updated on current events.
• Monitor multiple platforms for news tips and maintain updated files for ongoing stories. Collaboration with Producers and Field Journalists is paramount.
• Meet deadlines in high stress breaking news situations
, Experience, and Certification Requirements:
• BA degree in Journalism preferred
• 2 years of experience in the newsroom preferred
• Strong news and editorial judgment, organizational and planning skills
• Strong tech skills
• Familiarity with AVID Automation and non-linear editing
• Must have ability to write and contribute content for digital and broadcast platforms
• Possess the ability to respond quickly, calmly, and expertly to deadlines, changing circumstances and breaking news; must be able to quickly prioritize and make decisions requiring critical thinking and independent judgment