Summer Paid Intern - Data Engineering
CBS InteractiveRemote, US
Full Time Paid Internship
We are a hardworking group providing data needs for all CBS Digital Media properties. This includes CBS, CBSNews, CBS Sports, and related Sports Properties. We are made up of varying engineering roles including Data, Data Product, and Ingestion Engineering. Our team is responsible for driving the CDM data strategy and standard methodologies for data collection, Pipelines, usage, and infrastructure.
The Data Engineer Intern should possess a deep sense of curiosity and a passion for building smarter products based on data, and the ability to communicate data structures and tools throughout the CBS Digital Media organization. This engineer will help support data pipeline development which includes machine learning algorithms using disparate data sources. The ideal candidate will also work with BI, Research, Engineering, and Product teams to implement data-driven plans that drive the business!
• Works with large volumes of traffic data and user behaviors to build pipelines that improve raw data.
• Break down and communicate highly complex data problems into simple, feasible solutions.
• Extract patterns from large datasets and transform data into an informational advantage.
• Partnering with the internal product and business intelligence teams to determine the best approach around data ingestion, structure, and storage, then working with the team to ensure these are implemented accurately.
• Contributing ideas on how to make our data more effective and working with other members of the engineering, BI teams, and business units to implement changes.
• Early on collaboration with the team on internal initiatives to build strategies that improve company processes.
• This is a paid internship and can also be for university credit if it meets your university's guidelines
• Full-time, 40 hours per week
• Experience with data management systems, both relational and NoSQL (e.g., HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB)
• Proficient in Python.
• Familiarity with SQL skills for MySQL, Postgres and BigQuery to perform common types of analysis
• Experience with exploratory data analysis using tools like iPython Notebook, Pandas & matplotlib, etc.
• Strong problem-solving and creative-thinking skills.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical audiences, as well as translating business requirements into Data Solutions
• Intern must be a student currently enrolled in an accredited college, university, or boot camp
• Must be at least 18 years old
• Experience building and deploying application on a cloud platform (Google Cloud Platform preferred)
• Experience with full-stack application development.
• Experience with a Python web framework such as Django or Flask.
• Familiar with version control systems.
• Can perform statistical analyses using tools such as R, Numpy/SciPy with Python
ViacomCBS is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet
At ViacomCBS, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. ViacomCBS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access www.viacbs.com/careers as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by calling 212.846.5500 or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned.