Cal PerformancesBerkeley, CA
Full Time Job
Cal Performances of University of California, Berkeley is recruiting an Event Manager.
The Event Manager is part of a dynamic team advancing the mission of Cal Performances, and acts as the primary representative for Cal Performances during all presented events at Zellerbach Hall, and other venues as required. In coordination with the Manager of Artistic Operations, Director of Artistic Planning, Production Manager, and Stage Supervisors, the position is responsible for gathering, researching, analyzing and implementing all of the artists' production related needs, and distributing that information to relevant units and/or positions within Cal Performances for the efficient operation of events; and providing the highest level of service to our clients.
Event Coordination & Management
On all assigned events, the Event Manager will perform the following tasks, exercising judgment and discretion under the general supervision of the Manager of Artistic Operations and Director of Artistic Planning:
In conjunction with the Manager of Artistic Operations, responsible for implementing all aspects of the technical riders and contracts as negotiated by the Manager of Artistic Operations and Director of Artistic Planning. Examples of such requirements include, but are not limited to: sound, lighting, projection, backline, sets and props, hospitality, parking, instrument tuners, etc.
Serve as the Cal Performances contact and liaison to artists and artist representatives, campus users and production personnel from advance work through strike and load out.
Oversee the presentation of backstage hospitality, providing optimal service within the limits of the space and budget. Manage production assistants in coordination with the Manager of Artistic Operations
Coordinate the timely start of each assigned performance by communicating with the House Manager, production crew and company representative as appropriate. Make pre-show announcements to the audience as needed.
General oversight of Cal Performances technical crew in coordination with the Production Manager and House Manager including lead electricians, lead carpenters, sound crew, regular crew, production assistants, backstage door attendant, on and off campus vendors and service providers.
Coordination as required of ancillary activities, including, but not limited to artist transportation, cast parties, receptions, and recording of events, in cooperation with other relevant departments.
Negotiate solutions to issues and problems that may arise during the run of an event with discretion and good judgement. Coordinates with Manager of Artistic Operations and/or Director of Artistic Planning as appropriate to provide the highest level of support to visiting artists within the constraints of the available resources.
Provide a written production report after close of the event detailing problems that arose and how they were resolved, notes for future reference, vendor notes, crew notes, facility notes, and comprehensive financial data.
Attends regularly scheduled production meetings providing detailed information on upcoming events and reports from immediate past events.
Assist Production Manager as required.
Provide general administrative support to the organization, which includes but is not limited to general clerical and housekeeping tasks, and active participation in the general organization and functioning of the department.
Responsible for collecting expense and income documentation for events and providing such information to the Manager of Artistic Operations.
- 3-5 years experience in Performing Arts and Event Management.
- Excellent customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written, to effectively work with artists, agents, and a diverse constituency.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills, ability to work independently.
- Ability to take charge and direct people in a calm and professional manner.
- Ability to determine, gather, and analyze production related information, including technical specifications, music and equipment needs, cost estimates, and other production information.
- Working knowledge of production management, customer service, and event management techniques.
- Ability to work under constant pressure of changing deadlines and priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work on multiple projects with competing deadlines and to establish goals and workload priorities.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office, with the capability to master new programs and functionalities quickly.
- Ability to work long hours, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Personal passion for and belief in the transformative power of the arts.