BuzzfeedLos Angeles, CA
Freelance Writer (Project Based)
BuzzFeed is the world's leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. We produce articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world's largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; original pop culture and entertainment programming through Complex Networks; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is looking for regular freelance writers who can contribute entertaining and well-researched pieces to BuzzFeed.com, though what we're taking pitches on can vary based on the season. We love pieces that really showcase your personality, as well as highlight a topic that you're passionate and knowledgeable about!
Writers should expect to pitch stories in the following formats: lists, how-to guides or explainers, super timely or trending news stories, interviews with experts, first-person stories about trying something interesting, and more
• Pitch stories to fit into various coverage areas across BuzzFeed, including (but not limited to) pop culture, trending news, TV, Movies, books, social media roundups, celebrity lists, travel, and lifestyle.
• Ability to self-edit - we will offer onboarding and light editorial guidance but expect posts to require very light editing.
• Take assignments from BuzzFeed editors at will.
• Previous experience writing lists and/or about topics BuzzFeed regularly covers
• The ability to find unique angles for major news stories
• Experience vetting and sourcing photos a plus
• Experience with SEO a plus
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
• A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
• Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
• An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
At BuzzFeed, we want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
This position may require you to be in the office or be in close proximity to other employees once our offices fully reopen in 2022.