Travel & Entertainment Manager
BuzzfeedNew York, NY
Full Time Job
About BuzzFeed, Inc.
BuzzFeed, Inc. (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture and commerce, our brands drive conversation and inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, and obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed, Inc. is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news and entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, and creative; and inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders and creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks and HuffPost to come.
We have an opening for an experienced Travel & Entertainment Manager for our NY office location ( it is expected that the position will be in a hybrid work environment, working from the office and home beginning in 2022 ). Reporting to our Manager,Accounting you will be responsible for leading and supporting the day to day activities for all travel and entertainment across all divisions, entities and locations. This person must also have strong communication skills with individuals throughout the BuzzFeed organization including executives, in order to provide guidance as well as ensure compliance. The role will also entail financial statement close and reporting requirements globally, compliance with internal controls, various analyses, as well as day to day tasks..
As a member of a growing and fast-paced team, you will be an integral part of the Accounting team to support BuzzFeed's advancing business. Process driven, strong communication and a sense of ownership are necessary for this role. Additionally, as with any position involving financial responsibility, a sharp eye for detail and confidentiality are paramount.
You will be based in our NY office and will report to the Manager, Accounting
• Weekly audit review and approval of both credit card and cash expense report submissions per travel and entertainment policy
• Management of new expense and travel user onboarding and training
• Prepare accounting journal entries and account reconciliations for balance sheet (cash and clearing accounts) and P&L activities associated with Company travel and entertainment. Research and propose resolution for discrepancies or identified issues.
• Continue to develop and establish necessary efficiencies for collecting, analyzing and reporting of company travel and entertainment per policy.
• Interpret and communicate variances within the travel and entertainment spend monthly.
• Ongoing assistance with development, maintenance and documentation of Company Travel and Entertainment policy modifications to ensure continuous controls adherence and communicate gaps of interpretation.
• Focus strongly on daily communications with internal stakeholders in support of Company policy while ensuring a sense of customer service when understanding the different needs of multiple departments within the organization.
• Working directly with employees to address complaints, requests and other matters related to expense reporting. Questions and communications must be handled with diplomacy, friendliness, accuracy, timeliness and confidentiality.
• Manage the inputs, details and reconciliation behind employee reimbursements to the Company surrounding personal use of company issued credit card accounts.
• Manage relationships with credit card representatives and system platforms, Concur and TripActions.
• Have strong attention to detail and understanding of purpose behind tasks surrounding the accounting systems used to manage travel and entertainment. Understanding behind the necessary integrations of Workday, TripActions, Concur, NetSuite, as well as the credit card portals.
• Identify areas of operational improvement, provide recommendations, and execute on the changes through the initiation of additional platform integrations or program tools.
• Work with management and IT staff to set up and monitor implementation of new business units on the company travel and entertainment expense reporting system
• Proactively evaluate opportunities for saving costs on company T&E expenses.
• Manage and implement controls around non compliance of travel and entertainment policy and report to Senior Manager, Accounting
• Monitor trends in compliance risks and issues and propose potential process or policy changes to mitigate detected risks
• Able to review one's work and ensure free from error
• Degree in Accounting or related field
• 5 years experience in accounting
• Travel & entertainment experience required
• Expert proficiency in Concur required
• Experience with TripActions or similar platform preferred
• Expert proficiency in Microsoft Excel
• Understanding of risk and Sarbanes- Oxley compliance a plus
• Proficiency in NetSuite preferred
• Confidence in creating reports and presenting findings to senior executives
• Strong customer service experience
Life at BuzzFeed, Inc.
We celebrate inclusion and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
• A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
• Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
• An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options.
• A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
We want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.