Commercial Director, UK
Full Time Job
BuzzFeed is the world's leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. We produce articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world's largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; original pop culture and entertainment programming through Complex Networks; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is looking for a dynamic, entrepreneurial, digital executive with a passion for media and content-driven advertising to lead our UK business. As Commercial Director, you will be responsible for the health of BuzzFeed's UK business and lead efforts to further monetize the BuzzFeed UK and HuffPost UK sites, brands, properties and audience that our team of editors has grown significantly.
As the most senior person in the UK Business Operations, you will define the vision for the direct sold advertising business, and develop a plan to execute upon that vision, which will include growing our advertising business and developing new revenue streams through partnerships. In addition to managing the Sales and Account Management Team achieving revenue targets, you will work closely with our Business Strategy, Content and Distribution teams to ensure that programs are implemented to maximum long-term client satisfaction. You should have a track record of success and an entrepreneurial leaning that will allow you to quickly get up to speed on our business.
• Work with key stakeholders to develop near- and long-term strategy for UK market to achieve revenue goals
• Lead the UK Business team and partner closely with the UK Content team (including HuffPost) in order to deliver on revenue strategy
• Introduce our brands, reach, and product suite to clients and agencies in UK through meetings, speaking opportunities, and written materials
• Reach and exceed country level revenue goals
• Develop Senior-level relationships with clients, agencies, platforms, and partners
• Provide feedback to our product teams about in-market needs
• Understand the UK competitive landscape and identify opportunities that translate to revenue growth
• Collaborate with our UK Content team to introduce sponsorship opportunities around launches, etc.
• Represent BuzzFeed Inc. UK's suite of brands to the business community
• Identify and understand trends within social media
• Analyze data and use it to effectively advocate for investments to grow our UK business
Part of what makes BuzzFeed a pioneer in digital media is our commitment to exploring new ventures that lead to spreading truth and joy. As such, you may be asked to share your knowledge with your colleagues through presentations or trainings, to screen and interview job candidates, or to take part in recruitment or networking events on behalf of the company.
• Extensive experience working in digital sales and managing sales teams
• Experience at a leading publisher, social media platform or digital player in the United Kingdom
• A proven track record of success driving revenue
• Strong negotiation and influencing skills, and an ability to persuade at all levels of an agency or client
• A data- and results-led approach to your business
• An entrepreneurial spirit
• A deep knowledge of the social platforms and the latest social ad products
• A passion for social advertising and new media
• Demonstrable knowledge of the online advertising industry
• The ability to work in a fast-moving company and industry
FYI - job descriptions are not a one size fits all, just because you don't meet every requirement doesn't mean we don't want to hear from you. If you think you'd be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
• A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
• Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
• An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
This position may require you to be in the office or be in close proximity to other employees once our offices fully reopen in 2022.