Buzzfeed Affiliate Video Producer Fellowship
BuzzfeedLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
BuzzFeed Affiliate Video Producer Fellowship
12 week freelance position with possible 1-year extension
The deadline to apply is Friday, February 3rd.
The fellowship starts February 20th.
Now accepting applications for our 2023 BuzzFeed Affiliate Video Fellowship!
BuzzFeed is looking for energetic content creators to bring fresh video ideas for our platforms! This is a perfect opportunity for a lover of social media, storytelling, and emerging trends to hone their video production skills in a collaborative environment.
During this fellowship you will produce for some of the internet's biggest video brands. You will be responsible for completing daily content creation tasks in addition to participating in training to learn the technical and analytical skills it takes to be successful at BuzzFeed.
This is a paid freelance fellowship position with full-time hours based in Los Angeles. The fellowship is scheduled to last 12 weeks with the possibility of extending beyond. Each fellow will be evaluated at the end of the 12 week mark to determine if they will continue on to the second 12-month period of the fellowship.
The program is scheduled to begin on February 20th, 2023.
Video Fellowship 2023 (US-based)
The BuzzFeed Affiliate Video Fellowship is a 12 week program for eager video producers ready to master the tools and techniques of viral video. Over the course of the program, you will learn BuzzFeed's process/voice/strategy for creating compelling, shareable video content. This includes enhancing your production skills from ideation to execution - brainstorming, shooting, editing, notes, packaging -- and exploring how and why people view and share videos through BuzzFeed, Reels, TikTok, and Shorts.
You are a native of the digital and pop culture landscape with intimate knowledge of the latest and greatest in emerging technology/platforms. You have a special interest in Beauty, DIYs, or shopping. You enjoy making content and are obsessed with the internet (AKA you devour the things people are sharing, liking, recommending and talking about). Fellows will work with and learn from members of the Affiliate and Video teams. This is the perfect fellowship for someone interested in pursuing a career in entertainment, new media or creative services, who is fascinated by viral content, human psychology, pop culture, and the changing media landscape.
This is a freelance, 12 week, cohort-experience based in Los Angeles.
The deadline to apply for this fellowship is Friday, February 3rd. All application materials will need to be submitted when you apply (including the link to your sample video). The intended start date for this Fellowship is in February.
for Video Fellows:
• Develop mastery of established vertical video formats, styles, content generation methods, and production processes
• Conceive, shoot, edit and produce videos for social video channels
• Work with senior producers to discover and create video formats to live on Buzzfeed's social video channels
Requirements for Video Fellows:
• A genuine interest in what makes content viral and engaging
• 1-2 years of proven experience creating compelling, shareable video content
• Proficiency with iPhone shooting, basic sound/lighting equipment
• Capable editor with Premiere Pro & CapCut/InShot
• Adobe Creative Suite and on set experience a plus
• Understand the Reels, Shorts, and TikTok landscape
• Ability to work in small teams and independently
• Ability to manage multiple projects throughout various stages of production
• Ability to give and receive constructive criticism – high emotional intelligence
• A competitive drive with a positive, curious and kind disposition (no haters)
• An enthusiasm for pitching new ideas and concepts
• Experience in front of a camera
Please submit the following when applying to be a Video Fellow:
• Your one-page resume
• No formal cover letters, please. Instead, include a few sentences in your application explaining why you'd be a good fit for the video fellowship.
• What makes a video viral?
• Choose 2 videos from @buzzfeednifty, @buzzfeedapop or @buzzfeed that performed well on Instagram Reels within the last year, and explain why you think it was successful.
• Choose 1 video from @perolikeofficial, @cocoabutterofficial or @buzzfeednifty that performed well on TikTok within the last year, and explain why you think they were successful.
• How do you look to other creators for inspiration? Tell us about your favorite recent viral TikTok, Reels, or Shorts video and how you would iterate on the idea if you become a fellow (the inspiring content does not have to be from BuzzFeed).
• Pitch us 3 Reels or TikToks that you'd love to make (under 1 minute).
• What's your special interest? Is there a hobby you are passionate about? How could you bring that to the content you produce?
• List of editing equipment with which you are proficient (if not already noted on your resume).
• A sample video (up to 1 minute). Pick a shoppable product and make a fun video about it. (Example: Edible Glitter or a Magic Eraser) Focus on clarity and engagement. If you're particularly advanced at camera lighting or editing, let us see what you're capable of! . Also, if you're sharing a private video, be sure to give us access to view it.
Business Area: Content
Job Category: Editorial
Salary: 20/hr USD
Union Status: Non Union
About BuzzFeed, Inc.
BuzzFeed, Inc. (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture and commerce, our brands drive conversation and inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, and obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed, Inc. is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news and entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, and creative; and inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders and creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks and HuffPost to come.
Life at BuzzFeed, Inc.
We celebrate inclusion and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
• A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
• Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
We want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.