Senior Manager, Business & Legal Affairs
Boat Rocker MediaLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Boat Rocker Studios is an independent, creative-driven studio that specializes in the development, production, and distribution of premium, award-winning global content and franchises across all major genres via its Scripted, Unscripted, and Kids & Family divisions. The Studio distributes and licenses thousands of hours of its own and third-party content around the world through its Rights & Brands division. Boat Rocker Studios-produced series?have?won a variety of prestigious industry accolades including, Emmy, Peabody, Golden Globe, BAFTA, and Canadian Screen Awards. Recent projects include, Invasion in production at Apple with Simon Kinberg and David Weil, Dino Ranch for Disney Junior, and Go-Big Show for TBS starring Snoop Dogg. Boat Rocker Studios is a part of Boat Rocker Media, a leading integrated global entertainment company that harnesses the power of creativity?and commerce to tell stories?and build iconic brands that audiences love.
Boat Rocker Studios, Scripted is currently seeking a talented and ambitious professional to handle contract drafting, negotiation and administration duties within the company's Business and Legal Affairs Department. The ideal candidate will have, a law degree and 3+ years of experience in a media environment, preferably production legal, as well as excellent communication skills and the proven ability to work confidently with contacts across the business, and prioritize and manage multiple projects concurrently in a fast paced environment.
• Draft a high volume of scripted development and production agreements, including producer agreements, writer agreements, director agreements, rights agreements and talent/test option agreements.
• Manage legal aspects of scripted production, working with a broad range of in-house personnel (e.g., creative, production, other attorneys, etc.) including providing analysis and advice in connection with legal rights and obligations, intellectual property matters (chain of title, trademarks, copyrights), claims, production clearances (defamation, rights of publicity and privacy), location and vendor agreements and other production matters.
• Advise on questions that arise under applicable union and guild collective bargaining agreements.
• Prepare and distribute key information to production e.g. deal summaries, credit obligations, contractual restrictions etc. for all productions.
• JD Degree and member of the State Bar of California
• Minimum 3 years of legal experience gained in an entertainment law firm, television network, and/or television production company environment including significant and direct experience handling all legal aspects of a television production
• Knowledge of televisions precedents and industry common custom and practice
• Strong drafting, negotiation and communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills including the ability to respond to and interact with creative and business executives at all levels in a personable, professional and timely manner
• Highly motivated, responsible, extremely detail-oriented, organized, able to prioritize, manage and handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment under tight deadlines and under conditions of uncertainty and/or high-risk
• Exceptional facility with spotting issues, assessing and communicating risks, making common-sense decisions, and finding flexible/creative solutions to achieve business goals
• Strong ability to work both independently and to contribute positively as a collaborative team member
Boat Rocker is committed to hiring and supporting diverse candidates. We strongly encourage applications from people who identify as being part of an under-represented and equity-deserving group. This would include people who identify as racialized, Black, Indigenous, women, LGBTQ2SI+, and having a disability among others. We also recognize the importance of intersectional identities in our hiring and retention.