BMILos Angeles, NY
Full Time Job
We are Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI), a global leader in music rights management, serving as an advocate for the value of music. BMI represents the public performance rights in nearly 13 million musical works created and owned by more than 800,000 songwriters, composers and publishers. The Company negotiates music license agreements and distributes the fees it generates as royalties to its affiliated writers and publishers when their songs are performed in public.
Headquartered in New York, BMI has a rich history in the music industry. It was founded with a then-groundbreaking open door policy welcoming all genres of music, and today, BMI’s repertoire features a wide range of compositions from chart toppers to perennial favorites that are consistently among the most-performed hits of the year.
BMI is proud to have many long-term loyal team members who uphold core values of integrity, dedication, inclusion & respect, accountability & team work, adaptability & courage and effective communication.
We have an exciting opportunity for an SVP, Creative responsible for leading the Creative team in developing and executing acquisition and retention strategies through the following:
• Creating and sustaining relationships in the music business and broader business community.
• Leading the Creative leadership team in establishing and maintaining close working relationships with established writers and publishers as well as their agents, managers and attorneys.
• Building and maintaining an open and cohesive culture with the Creative team.
• Ensuring a targeted focus on emerging music trends resulting in constant flow of new music to build BMI’s market share across all genres and platforms.
• Working in tandem with Licensing and International to identify repertoire acquisition and retention goals.
• Driving Creative diversity through developmental strategies that will attract and develop new writers and composers.
• Participating in Creative recognition events.
• Collaborating with the Corporate Communications team to develop branding and promotional strategies.
• Maintaining an in-depth knowledge of BMI’s role, practices, policies, account maintenance processes and competitive pressures to assess how BMI and our affiliates are impacted by changing market dynamics.
• Working in tandem with key operational departments to identify and create new methodologies for comprehensive and granular distributions that accurately reflect the value of our affiliates’ music over a wide variety of media.
• Creating and overseeing annual Creative budgets to maximize the value of promotional spending for affiliate development and recognition opportunities.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in a major that combines business and art disciplines; Master’s degree or equivalent preferred. In addition, candidates must have a minimum of 10 years’ experience in a high level executive position interfacing with creators, users and rights owners. While this doesn’t have to be exclusively from the music publishing community, an awareness and thorough understanding of the publishing arena is key. This position requires the flexibility to travel up to 50% of the time.