Sr. Director, Media Relations
Full Time Job
POSITION SUMMARY: Leads the communications efforts for BMI’s Nashville and Austin Creative offices, working closely with the company's Creative team as well as the Project & Events department to develop and execute proactive media relations campaigns. This also includes handling media relations for all Nashville based events, including showcases, No. 1 parties, award shows, festivals and more. Supervises the Nashville Public Relations Associate and works closely with the broader New York-based Corporate Communications and Marketing department to ensure that PR, social media and advertising campaigns are aligned across BMI. This position reports to the SVP of Corporate Communications and Marketing. Communications experience within the Nashville music community strongly preferred.
LOCATION: Nashville, TN office. BMI has transitioned back to working in the office on a regular hybrid schedule. At present, most team members are expected in the office three (3) days a week. Decisions regarding future transitions will take place in phases as BMI continues to closely monitor COVID-19 as employee safety is our priority.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
Essential Functions: which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.
• Oversee all media relations efforts for BMI’s Nashville and Austin offices, including communications and PR for all events such as award shows, No. 1 Parties, festivals (ACL, Key West Songwriters Festival and SXSW, among others), panels, showcases and workshops.
• Supervise and mentor the Public Relations Associate.
• Cultivate and manage relationships with the key members of the media, including but not limited to reporters, editors, event producers and other influencers. Identify and foster relationships with new media partners to expand coverage.
• Develop and implement media relations strategies to optimize BMI’s sponsorship relationships and recommend ways to promote sponsor involvement at BMI events.
• Oversee & draft t press materials, including but not limited to executive announcements, press plans, proactive pitches, media alerts, press releases and photo captions.
• Plan, direct and execute photo opportunities with BMI executives and affiliates at events.
• Create and maintain relationships with Nashville’s music publishing and creative communities for early insight about the events and press impacting BMI affiliates.
• Collaborate closely with the entire Corporate Communications department to support BMI’s overall press and marketing efforts, including:
• Collaborating with the Social Media team on cohesive PR and social plans to support events and executives for the Nashville and Austin offices.
• Coordinating with the Design team on event collaterals such as invitations, step & repeats and flyers, as well as aligning PR strategies with advertising campaigns.
• Collaborating with the Content team on written materials and video projects BMI and the Nashville and Austin offices.
• Negotiate and budget for services by outside vendors as needed, working with Corp Comm.
• Travel will be required for festivals, showcases and events as directed by the SVP, Corporate Communications & Marketing.
• Support BMI’s Core Values and cultivates a culture of diversity and inclusion.
• Regular attendance.
• Other duties as assigned by the SVP, Corporate Communications & Marketing.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises departmental team members. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning, directing and ensuring reliability of work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining team members; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Environmental/Atmospheric Conditions: Environmental and atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the functions of this job.
Normal office conditions. Some travel as needed.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
Experience: Minimum eight (8) years’ experience in the music/entertainment industry within public relations, promotions, and event management. Experience within the southeast area preferred.
and Abilities: which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position.Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office
• Experience working with and maintaining database systems and reports, as well as word processing and spreadsheets
• Able to establish constructive and informative relationships with team members, management and vendors
• Able to interact professionally with a diverse employee population and with all levels of staff and management
• Able to work independently and with good judgment
• Attention to detail
• Ability to prioritize multiple assignments to meet deadlines
• Strong typing, proofreading and editing skills
• Spanish language – verbal and written – skills a plus
License(s)/Certifications Required: None
The specific base salary offered to a successful applicant will be based on individual qualifications, skills, experience and education. The pay range is subject to change at any time based on various internal and external factors. The position may also be eligible for one or more performance-based bonuses. In addition to cash compensation, BMI offers a competitive portfolio of benefits to its employees, as described below.
What We Give to You:
• Health, dental, and vision insurance
• 401K with employer match
• Flexible spending accounts
• Paid vacation and paid sick/personal time
• 12 paid calendar holidays
• Paid volunteer time off
• Summer hours that offer more time for fun in the sun
• Company paid life insurance
• Up to 12 weeks paid parental leave
• Tuition assistance for qualified team members
• Commuter benefits (New York)
• Amazing and engaging culture
• Employee Resource Groups
BROADCAST MUSIC, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: All applicants will receive equal opportunity for employment without regard of race, color, sex, religion, nationality, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, veteran’s or marital status, disability, or any other cultural factor.