Senior Director, Creative
Full Time Job
Recruits and assists prospective writers, publishers, producers and artists to BMI by performing the following duties either personally or through the direction of others.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
• Secure writers and publishers to aide in registering new songs and new writers.
• Utilize social media outlets to brand BMI events and create awareness of BMI events (youtube, facebook, twitter).
• Provide BMI with sponsors that fit the BMI brand to keep costs for events and programming at a minimum.
• Drive and influence partnerships for sponsorship opportunities in collaboration with the strategy for strategic partnerships. Generate payments for events.
• Recruit new and promising songwriters, producers and music publishers.
• Drive the relationship between BMI and its established affiliates.
• Evaluate affiliate royalty earnings to determine advances or guarantees.
• Solve various problems that arise between BMI and its affiliates.
• Negotiate with writers and publishers to continue their affiliation and resolve conflicts to reduce termination requests.
• Establish and maintain relationships with music industry executives and professionals.
• Represent BMI on music and business related panels both locally and nationally.
• Create and manage the relationship between BMI affiliates and the music industry by networking with industry professionals.
• Work with senior executives to lead special projects, such as BMI Unsigned Urban Showcase, the BMI Urban Awards and BMI trailblazers of Gospel Awards.
• Analyze Billboards Data to determine the BMI Urban Awards top producers each year. Recommend award recipients.
• Conduct site visits to determine locations of various BMI events and negotiate those deals.
• Attend studio sessions to check in and support current affiliates and their upcoming projects.
• Regular attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Support our BMI Core Values and cultivate a culture of diversity and inclusion.
Directly supervises departmental employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent preferred.
• Expert knowledge of the song and music process from conception to hit status.
• Expert knowledge of music industry trade and professional organizations.
• Minimum seven years’ experience in the music industry.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
• Experience working with and maintaining database systems and reports, as well as word processing and spreadsheets.
• Judgment ability. (Ability to analyze songs and music for commercial success.)
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong relationship skills. (Ability to interact professionally with a diverse employee population, and with all levels of staff and management.)
• Able to work independently and with good judgment
• Attention to detail (strong proofreading skills).
• Strong organization and planning skills.