Senior Attorney, Legal & Business Affairs
Full Time Job
POSITION SUMMARY: This individual, in conjunction with other attorneys in the department, performs many of the functions undertaken by the Legal Department on a regular basis. Responsibilities performed by this individual will focus on serving clients in the Licensing department who service customers and prospective customers: supporting license negotiations; drafting license agreements and amendments; and drafting and reviewing Licensing communications. In addition, this position will manage the day to day functions of the Business Affairs team which is responsible for the identification and preparation of infringement files. Duties will also include prosecution of copyright infringement actions throughout the U.S. (including supervising outside counsel); prosecution of collection arbitrations and obtaining and enforcing judgements throughout the country (including supervising outside counsel); the position may also involve providing advice and comment on and/or drafting contracts the company enters into with third-party vendors; providing advice and counsel to other departments on copyright, contract and other legal issues.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
• Supports license negotiations
• Provides legal advice to the company's licensing staff
• Drafts new license agreements and amendments to existing agreements.
• Prepares written correspondence as necessary for legal communication with customers, and responds to telephone inquiries requiring an opinion on matters of law.
• Reviews and analyzes matters for possible infringement actions.
• Manages the day to day functions of the Business Affairs team which is responsible for the identification of infringement candidates and the preparation of infringement files.
• Responds to day to day business and legal questions made to the company’s licensing department by other company departments.
• Reviews licensing customer communications for legal compliance and content.
• Drafts business and legal memoranda on matters of importance to BMI.
• Prosecute and manage numerous copyright infrigement actions throughout the U.S., including drafting motion and discovery papers, negotiating settlements, reviewing song ownership documentation, attending settlement conferences and supervising outside counsel.
• Prosecute and manage numerous collection arbitrations involving BMI licensed radio and TV stations, including supervising collection attorneys throughout the U.S. and negotiating settlements.
• Provide advice on and/or draft contracts between BMI and outside vendors.
• Interact with other BMI attorneys and BMI management with respect to the above responsibilities.
• Assist other attorneys in the Legal Department on specific projects when necessary.
• Supports our BMI Values and cultivates a culture of diversity and inclusion.
• Regular attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises departmental employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
4-year college degree and Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required. In addition, fulfilling all relevant continuing legal education requirements is also required.
Experience: Minimum 4 years legal experience, at least a portion of which should be in private practice in a law firm. Should have a background in litigation, including researching and drafting of briefs and memoranda and motion practice. Prior knowledge of copyright law and/or music industry or broadcasting experience is highly recommended.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to analyze business problems from a legal and practical perspective
• Ability to manage many projects at once and to prioritize them
• Ability to negotiate authoritatively and persuasively
• Ability to work cooperatively with other company executives in different areas
• Proficiency in MS Office
License(s)/Certifications Required: Admission to the New York and Tennessee State bar and license to practice in federal courts and Middle District of Tennessee is required.
BROADCAST MUSIC, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: All applicants will receive equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, creed, color, sex, age, national origin, marital status, veteran status or disability.