Head Of Government Relations
Full Time Job
Head of Government Relations
We are Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI), a global leader in music rights management, serving as an advocate for the value of music. BMI represents the public performance rights in nearly 13 million musical works created and owned by more than 800,000 songwriters, composers and publishers. The Company negotiates music license agreements and distributes the fees it generates as royalties to its affiliated writers and publishers when their songs are performed in public.
Headquartered in New York, BMI has a rich history in the music industry. It was founded with a then-groundbreaking open door policy welcoming all genres of music, and today BMI’s repertoire features a wide range of compositions from chart toppers to perennial favorites that are consistently among the most-performed hits of the year.
BMI is proud to have many long-term loyal team members who uphold core values of integrity, dedication, inclusion & respect, accountability & teamwork, adaptability & courage and effective communication.
We have an exciting opportunity for our Head of Government Relations based in Washington, DC. This position is responsible for leading the Company’s efforts to protect the rights of BMI’s songwriters, composers and music publishers at all levels of government. This will include coordinating and overseeing BMI’s legislative efforts in conjunction with all departments, as well as with the Company’s lobbying firms in Washington, DC and in states across the country. Additional responsibilities include the following:
• Serving as a knowledgeable advocate and a trusted voice for the Company in the Washington political, legislative and regulatory arenas and key state Capitols.
• Coordinating with BMI leadership team members to develop policy and positions on key issues and assisting in communicating them to external audiences as appropriate.
• Developing and maintaining relationships with key individuals from industry lobbying organizations and songwriting advocacy groups to champion BMI’s interests in any omnibus, adjacent or adjoining bills or positions.
• Developing strategies and campaigns to increase funding for BMI’s Legislative Fund (PAC).
• Creating and strengthening relationships within the Washington, DC community to help in educating legislators and lobbyists regarding BMI’s purpose, issues and concerns.
• Monitoring federal and state intellectual property legislation; attending hearings on intellectual property issues as appropriate; forecasting policy dynamics and shifts between the state and federal levels.
• Maintaining a presence on a state level via State Government Affairs Council, National Council of State Legislators, etc.
• Working closely with many grassroots organizations in a supportive role and educating them on copyright issues with the goal of building BMI’s visibility so that they will be ready to support BMI's legislative initiatives.
• Maintaining relationships with, and supporting, the songwriting community.
• Representing BMI at events, functions, speaking engagements, panels, etc.
• Communicating and coordinating with other BMI leadership team members in the shared goal of protecting BMI’s brand and business model.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree required (political science or public policy preferred); Master’s degree or equivalent preferred. In addition, candidates must have a minimum of 10 years’ experience working in the music, entertainment and/or lobbying industries in a senior capacity as well as experience working on Capitol Hill, trade association and/or corporate experience in federal or state legislative advocacy process. This position requires the flexibility to travel as needed.