Executive Legal Assistant
Full Time Job
POSITION SUMMARY: Assist attorney(s) with a wide array of litigation, matters, including infringement cases in federal court in fifty states and arbitration proceedings, as well as contract and estate matters. Organize attorneys’ calendars, travel arrangements, files, and correspondence. Work with local counsel, other departments within BMI and courts. This position requires a high degree of accuracy, responsibility, confidentiality and interaction with others.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
• Provide administrative support for Legal department initiatives.
• Research via telephone, Internet, and internal systems.
• Maintain and update extensive file systems.
• Interact with other departments.
• Perform or assist as needed with departmental administrative functions.
• Communicate with state and federal courts in numerous jurisdictions.
• Draft contracts, legal memos, briefs and court pleadings.
• Liaison with other BMI departments regarding discovery of information for court cases.
• Proofread lengthy legal documents such as court filings, license agreements, estate and probate documents.
• Coordinate supervisors’ participation in industry and bar association activities.
• Schedule meetings.
• Make travel arrangements.
• Process payments received on infringement and collection matters.
• Photocopy and print legal materials.
• Scan and index legal documents.
• Respond to telephone inquiries and prioritizes phone calls for attorneys.
• Draft correspondence (mail, faxes, email).
• Other duties as assigned.
• Regular attendance.
• Support BMI Core Values and cultivate a culture of diversity and inclusion.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent preferred
Experience: Minimum two years’ experience in a law firm, corporate legal department or equivalent.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
• Proficient in basic Internet functions and research techniques
• Proficient with company specific databases and equipment (copiers, fax machines and scanners)
• Ability to speak effectively to licensees and employees of the organization on routine matters
• Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
• Must be able to prioritize and balance multiple tasks
• Excellent oral and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Familiarity with estate planning is a plus but not required