Full Time Job
POSITION SUMMARY: This individual is responsible for the management of a personal case load of BMI arbitrations, infringements and estate files. Infringement file management includes the oversight of federal lawsuits in conjunction with outside counsel throughout the country. Arbitration file management includes the collection by the Attorney of BMI accounts that are in arrears. Estate file management includes the administration of the affiliation of the estate of the decedent songwriter, and management of all related disputes. This individual may also assist on other matters undertaken by the Legal Department on a regular basis.
LOCATION: Nashville, TN office. BMI has transitioned back to working in the office on a regular hybrid schedule. At present, most team members are expected in the office three (3) days a week. Decisions regarding future transitions will take place in phases as BMI continues to closely monitor COVID-19 as employee safety is our priority.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
• Prosecute and manage numerous copyright infringement actions throughout the U.S., including drafting motion and discovery papers, negotiating settlements, reviewing song ownership documentation, attending settlement conferences and supervising outside counsel.
• Prosecute and manage numerous collection arbitrations involving BMI licensed radio and TV stations, including supervising collection attorneys throughout the U.S. and negotiating settlements.
• Manage estate files to affect an orderly transition from the deceased affiliate to his/her successor. Engage in communications with estates of decedent writers, obtain new membership agreements with the estate; obtain all necessary testamentary documentation; resolve any disputes regarding the estates.
• Provide advice on and/or draft contracts between BMI and outside vendors.
• Interact with other BMI attorneys and BMI management with respect to the above responsibilities.
• Assist other attorneys in the Legal Department on specific projects when necessary.
• Supports BMI’s Core Values and cultivates a culture of diversity and inclusion.
• Regular attendance.
• Other duties as assigned
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
4-year college degree and Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required. Admitted to the New York State Bar or Tennessee State Bar. In addition, fulfilling continuing legal education requirements is also required.
Experience: Minimum three (3) years legal experience, at least a portion of which should be in private practice in a law firm. Should have a background in litigation, including researching and drafting of briefs and memoranda and motion practice. Prior knowledge of copyright law and/or music industry or broadcasting experience a plus.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to analyze business problems from a legal and practical perspective
• Ability to manage many projects at once and to prioritize them
• Ability to negotiate authoritatively and persuasively
• Ability to work cooperatively with other company executives
• Proficiency in MS Office
• Some travel required
• License(s)/Certifications Required: Admission to the New York State Bar and/or Tennessee State Bar. Admission to practice in the federal courts is required. Notary Public license is desired but not necessary.
The specific base salary offered to a successful applicant will be based on individual qualifications, skills, experience and education. The pay range is subject to change at any time based on various internal and external factors. The position may also be eligible for one or more performance-based bonuses. In addition to cash compensation, BMI offers a competitive portfolio of benefits to its employees, as described below.
What We Give to You:
• Health, dental, and vision insurance
• 401K with employer match
• Flexible spending accounts
• Paid vacation and paid sick/personal time
• 12 paid calendar holidays
• Paid volunteer time off
• Summer hours that offer more time for fun in the sun
• Company paid life insurance
• Up to 12 weeks paid parental leave
• Tuition assistance for qualified team members
• Commuter benefits (New York)
• Amazing and engaging culture
• Employee Resource Groups
BROADCAST MUSIC, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: All applicants will receive equal opportunity for employment without regard of race, color, sex, religion, nationality, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, veteran’s or marital status, disability, or any other cultural factor.