BMINew York, NY
This was removed by the employer on 6/15/2021 5:12:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Legal and Business Affairs Category
Browse the Music Category
Search for Attorney jobs in New York-NY
Search all Attorney postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire an Attorney?
Full Time Job
POSITION SUMMARY: Drafting entertainment industry contracts; advising the Company on copyright-related disputes; representing the Company in federal and state litigation; coordinating the efforts of outside counsel in such litigation; and advising the Company on a wide range of legal issues.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
• Drafts agreements between BMI and its affiliated songwriters, composers, music publishers and other stakeholders.
• Investigates, gathers information and recommends BMI’s position regarding disputes between songwriters, composers, music publishers and other third parties with respect to authorship, copyright ownership and/or royalty share entitlement.
• Interacts and corresponds with and addresses miscellaneous issues involving songwriters, composers and music publishers as well as their accountants, attorneys, consultants, managers, and other representatives.
• Resolves issues regarding the estates of deceased BMI songwriters, composers and music publishers.
• Processes and ensures compliance with levies, liens, garnishments and other relevant court orders served upon BMI.
• Manages and directs outside counsel with respect to major and minor litigation including interpleader actions, bankruptcies, and Federal and State litigations involving affiliates.
• Provides advice on and/or draft contracts between BMI and outside vendors.
• Interacts with other BMI attorneys and BMI management with respect to the above responsibilities.
• Collaborates with other attorneys in the Legal Department on specific projects when necessary.
• Be knowledgeable in copyright law.
• Music industry or entertainment law experience a plus.
• Regular attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Support our BMI Core Values and cultivate a culture of diversity and inclusion.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
4-year college degree and Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required. In addition, fulfilling continuing legal education requirements for New York State (24 hours every 2 years), and other states, as applicable, is also required.
Experience: Minimum 4 years’ legal experience, at least a portion of which should be in private practice in a law firm or another PRO. Should have some background in litigation, including researching and drafting of briefs and memoranda and motion practice. Prior knowledge of copyright law and/or music industry or broadcasting experience is highly recommended.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to analyze business problems from a legal and practical perspective
• Ability to manage many projects at once and to prioritize them
• Ability to negotiate authoritatively and persuasively
• Proficiency in MS Office
• Extended hours beyond 40 as needed.
• Flexibility for occasional travel.
License(s)/Certifications Required: Admission to the New York State bar and license to practice in federal court in New York is required. License as Notary Public is desired.