Artist, FX - Project Hire
Blue Sky StudiosGreenwich, CT
Full Time Job
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
Blue Sky Studios
We are a collection of enduring brands and iconic, unforgettable characters. We create content for audiences big and small, reaching billions of people every day. Most of all, we are many individuals, each uniquely talented, each a critical piece to our puzzle, who collectively become a power. Desire to thrill and engage? Join us as we engage and inspire.
FX Artist is responsible for the look development, creation, and implementation of visual effects for feature animated projects using proprietary and off-the-shelf tools. An FX Artist may be expected to create either stylized or photorealistic natural phenomena as well as animated effects with or without concept art. Experience with Houdini SOPS, RBDs, FLIP, PYRO and particle animation is required. Broad technical skills and creative problem solving abilities are also necessary. Must be able to collaborate with other FX Artist to enhance the team environment and work closely with other departments to communicate requirements and ensure final work is of the highest quality. VEX and/or Python scripting experience is a plus. Understanding and experience with Renderman, USD and Mantra is preferred. 2D animation skills are a plus.
Essential Functions/Responsibilities :
• Design and implement visual effects under the direction of the Effects Supervisor.
• Development of tools and techniques for the efficient production of visual effects.
• Test and debug new techniques and tools for current and future projects.
• Communicate with up and down stream departments.
Education and/or Experience Required:
• Production Experience creating FX for animated features, live action or commercials.
• Houdini Proficiency in SOPs, Pyro, FLIP, RBDs and particles animation.
• Developed sense of basic animation principles, primarily timing, weight and composition.
• Adept with one or more other major animation/effects packages (Maya, Houdini)
• Knowledge of basic programming concepts and practices (C++, Python, VEX)
• Familiarity with one or more rendering packages & pipelines (Mantra, Renderman, Arnold, USD, Katana)
• Proficiency within a Unix/Linux operating system(navigation, shell scripting, etc).
• Experience achieving aesthetic goals on a schedule.
, Abilities, Special Licenses or Certificate:
• Keen aesthetic sense and attention to detail.
• Strong communication skills.
• Great problem solving skills.
• Ability to multitask well and collaborate with others.
Working Conditions and Environment/Physical Demands:
• There can be hard deadlines and high productivity demands and, as such, flexible working hours during ''crunch-periods'', including evenings and weekends, are required as a fundamental and necessary part of this job.
• Office working environment
• Approximately 85% of time spent working on a Computer.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with it. Blue Sky Studio management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
About Blue Sky Studios:
One of the world's largest producers and distributors of motion pictures, 20th Century Fox Film produces, acquires and distributes motion pictures throughout the world. These motion pictures are produced or acquired by the following units of 20th Century Fox Film: Twentieth Century Fox, Fox 2000 Pictures, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Fox International Productions, and Twentieth Century Fox Animation. Blue Sky Studios is the animation studio behind the wildly successful ICE AGE and RIO franchises, along with this year's FERDINAND animated feature film!
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Blue Sky Studios, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Blue Sky Studios.
Blue Sky Studios, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.