BillboardNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Billboard: Staff Writer
COVID-19 HIRING UPDATE: We have transitioned to a remote work model and are continuing to hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We appreciate this is unprecedented times and will work closely with you, taking into account your individual circumstances.
Billboard is hiring a Staff Writer to join its New York team. With a renowned authority among artists, fans and the industry, Billboard powers the ultimate global music destination and magazine, featuring unrivaled reporting on music news, issues and trends, and the industry's definitive charts.
We are adding to our NYC newsroom a sharp, fast writer with a strong interest in music business news and trends, who will spend most of their time churning out news hits of the day -- from breaking news to album announcements to new music videos to lawsuits and everything in between. This person should have excellent news judgement, understand the tone and voice of Billboard, be comfortable writing across about all genres of music as well as the artists, companies, managers and executives behind it all, and have the ability to find and pitch stories on their own. Editing and assigning experience a plus.
Candidate should have 2-3 years experience in a fast-paced digital newsroom and be capable of writing multiple news stories daily and reporting out unconfirmed rumors. Should have their finger on the pulse of mainstream pop culture, from hip-hop to TikTok to the Grammys. Some occasional night/weekend work expected for massive breaking news and major awards shows.
Who you are:
• 2 years of experience reporting and/or editing a media outlet, with focus on music, business or finance
• Experience and ease with WordPress or similar CMS
• Fast, clear writer passionate about breaking news
• Fascinated by the business of music, including the players and the money driving it behind the scenes
• A natural trend-spotter who can deliver scoops of ideas
• A pop culture lover
What you will do:
• Write multiple news stories daily on the biggest happenings in the music world
• Write snappy headlines
• Build stories in WordPress
• Interview artists and executives
• Contribute to editorial projects, from lists to special issues to social conversations
• Pitch and execute story ideas
• Cover major music events
• Confirm rumors
• Monitor wires, music platforms and social media for news
Billboard is a global music media brand, with a renowned authority among artists, fans and the industry. Billboard powers the ultimate global music destination and magazine, featuring unrivaled reporting on music news, issues and trends, the industry's definitive charts, encompassing the most complete and well respected database of charts across all music genres. Billboard also produces elite conferences and events which regularly convene the industry and consumers around important conversations – from the annual Power 100 to Women in Music to Pride Summit and more.