Sr. Staff Writer, Latin
BillboardNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Sr. Staff Writer, Latin (NY)
Who we are:
Billboard is the world's most influential music media brand reaching key executives and tastemakers in and around the music business through Billboard Magazine, Billboard.biz, Billboard Conferences, Billboard Bulletin, and other targeted newsletters, and millions of music fans through Billboard.com and Billboard Events. The Billboard brand is built on its exclusive charts and unrivaled reporting on the latest news, issues and trends across all genres of music. Billboard receives hundreds of millions of brand impressions daily through many strategic relationships with major companies across various industries. These relationships leverage Billboard's brand recognition, proprietary chart data and information resources to develop products, live events and print, television, radio, digital and mobile platforms. In addition to North America, Billboard operates businesses in Argentina, Greece, Japan, Korea and Russia.
Billboard is looking for a seasoned, bilingual writer and editor to cover Latin music both online and for the print edition of the magazine. This is the ideal job for someone who is passionate about Latin music -- and fascinated by the Latin music business behind it. We're seeking someone who enjoys being immersed in music culture and speaking with managers, promoters, music publishers and label executives about their strategies to grow Latin acts into global superstars. Enthusiasm for working across platforms -from video and podcasts to print and digital- is a must.
If you love Latin music, this is your playground. You not only write about the genres on your playlist; your ears are open to everything from banda and norteño to reggaeton and pop. Beyond the music itself, your purview are the music makers and the music industry and the great stories that make them all move together.
What you'll do:
• Write stories ranging from in-depth business stories, interviews and lively features to short-form content.
• Cover everything from interviews with major stars to reviews, analysis and business stories on a daily basis. Quantity and quality are expected.
• Cultivate and engage deeply with a wealth of industry sources
• Lead digital conversation surrounding new music and generate a range of timely, insightful, and meaningful stories.
• Regularly report on and attend area events and red carpets with the ability to deliver quick and thorough coverage.
• Work with publicists, managers, and industry contacts to secure exclusive access to talent and executives.
• Conduct video and podcast interviews.
• Coordinate on a daily basis with our Latin team in Miami.
• You must be able to multi-task and juggle various projects simultaneously, from online to print coverage.
Your experience and skills:
• 3 years of professional work experience in business or entertainment journalism including reported stories, interviewing executives and artists and writing review.
• At least some experience in a major publication or media company.
• You must be a fluent Spanish speaker who can interview in Spanish. Writing in Spanish is a plus, although your work will be in English.
• Impeccable writing chops with clean, concise copy, clear narratives, and a vivid writing style. Faultless with deadlines.
• An insatiable passion for Latin music across all genres. Must have the ability and desire to cover all Latin music genres.
• Strong contacts in the music industry - and a desire to consistently build new relationships.
• Keen interest in consumer and business reporting and familiarity with the basic structure of the music industry.
• A thorough comprehension of audience engagement through social media, particularly Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
• Bachelor's Degree