Director, Social Media
Full Time Job
Overview and Responsibilities
BET is Black culture, on and off the platform. From streaming to social, we have our fingers on the pulse of conversation among our consumers — not just listening, but participating in and starting thoughtful, hilarious, exciting discussions with fans. This role is part of the larger marketing organization, and is uniquely positioned to be at the forefront of the BET brand, building a community, growing fandom, and crafting a unique perspective on content and culture as a traditional media outlet would. As our slate of titles grows and brand continues to take on new shapes, we’re looking for a stellar digital communicator and strategist with a deep experience in and passion for entertainment and the Black audience.
To be successful in this role, you have excellent judgment to balance the needs of the community and business. You’ll need to not only think through new ways to talk about the BET service and content, but also our library of licensed content and larger cultural moments that shape conversation for our audience. A strong handle on the news cycle and daily content is as important as a knack for weaving all of this into a narrative about what it means to be a part of BET . You are a super fan of entertainment, you think beyond tune in, revel in the joy of convincing someone to watch and deeply understand the complexities and nuances of Black Hollywood.
The ideal candidate will have experience leading content curation and creation, as well as the ability to strategize, ideate and build with partners across departments within BET and Viacom. This person will need to be the cross- functional expert of this audience, and have the courage to approach the work with the freshest of perspectives. Curiosity, innovation and solution-oriented thinking are absolutely paramount!
• Develop and maintain an editorial tone and perspective for the BET handles that matches the needs of our audience
• Create and advance long-term strategy to move the BET voice into new platforms and spaces
• Oversee content and creative strategy, including copy writing, visual creative, community management and fan acquisition across all relevant social properties
• Stay on top of trends, timely events, and upcoming title launches to seize on reactive opportunities for this audience
• Build relationships both inside and outside of BET and Viacom to increase the access and credibility of the brand with the Black community
• Regularly interact with talent, talent management, PR reps, and influencers to build understanding and trust around the broader mission of BET as well manage the logistical needs and asks
• Use internal and external social analytics and other internal data to inform strategy and detect new opportunities as well as provide reporting in all relevant campaign meetings
• Build and manage budgets
• Be experimental with content, take risks with what you’re creating, be ambitious and original
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• Minimum 8 years’ experience working in the digital/social landscape, with quantifiable successes
• A background in journalism and/or content creation, and an understanding of content, namely video across all social platforms
• Deep knowledge of the entertainment landscape and target audiences, and the platforms that are important to them
• The ability to tell an engaging, cohesive story through any visual or audio medium (Twitter thread, Instagram post, YouTube video, Podcast, etc.)
• Meaningful experience interacting directly with talent and talent representation, in meetings and on shoots/sets
• Strong perspective with flexibility to graciously and gracefully pivot when new information is presented
• Clear, effective communication skills (both written and verbal) and the confidence to advocate for our team and the Black audience in a room where talent or executives may have differing opinions
• Proven track record of creating content that gets written, shared, and talked about. Constantly coming up with ideas, with a high level of taste
• You imagine and interpret problems and opportunities that we must tackle in the future. Ability to define those items for our business and connect that to the day to day work
BET Networks, a subsidiary of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIA, VIA.B), is the nation's leading provider of quality entertainment, music, news, and public affairs television programming for the African-American audience. The primary BET channel reaches more than 90 million households and can be seen in the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, the United Kingdom, and sub-Saharan Africa. BET is the dominant African-American consumer brand with a diverse group of business extensions: BET.com, a leading Internet destination for Black entertainment, music, culture and news; BET HER, a 24-hour entertainment network targeting the African-American Woman; BET Music Networks - BET Jams, BET Soul and BET Gospel; BET Home Entertainment; BET Live, BET's growing festival business; BET Mobile, which provides ringtones, games and video content for wireless devices; and BET International, which operates BET around the globe.