Director Physical Production
Full Time Job
BET Networks seeks an experienced production executive to join the Original Programming team as Director of Physical Production working with the BET Scripted Team. The position will be based in Los Angeles, CA and report to the Vice President of Physical Production.
The Director of Physical Production will be involved in all aspects of production for original scripted programming at BET Networks. S/he will be responsible for managing production for series, MOWs, miniseries and pilot productions including locations, production planning, crew staffing, scheduling and budgeting.
In addition to managing the day-to-day operations, the Director of Scripted Production will work closely with the creative team, ensuring the best possible production process with all parties. S/he should have an extensive list of contacts they can utilize on a project basis. Specifically, the Director of Scripted Production will be responsible for:
• Effectively communicating with Producers, Showrunners in the execution of their duties.
• Supervising all aspects of scripted production and developing effective procedures and systems to keep productions running smoothly for BET Networks and BET Studios.
• Teaming with Co-Productions, Third Parties and Acquisitions staff to support co-production and reformatting efforts.
• Drafting and publishing initial production budgets, schedules and planning documents.
• Continually monitoring all projects in progress with regard to schedule, budgets, update meetings, etc. Report any schedule and budget challenges and provide solutions.
• Solving budgetary issues while maintaining the creative integrity of the program.
• Partner with Production Finance in the review of Production Reports, daily Hot Costs and Cost Reports
• Staying abreast of each state's tax incentive credits and film crew availability to get the best team working on projects and the best financial benefit for BET.
• Working closely with colleagues within the organization to manage each project efficiently from pre-production though the show launch.
• Collaborating with colleagues with-in the organization to manage each project efficiently from pre-production though the show launch and help lead departmental initiatives.
• Staying well-informed of new developing production technologies, work flows and new cameras.
• Intermediate level understanding of the Post Production process to include workflow, equipment and technical specifications.
• Understanding of and ability to implement COVID safety protocols
• Responsible for the administration of the Production Management intern program
The Director of Scripted Production must have experience in working in multi-cam and single cam scripted television. S/he may be working at a major studio, a production company, or at a cable or broadcast network in television production. May also be currently working as a Line Producer or UPM.
S/he must have demonstrated success in planning and overseeing projects, working with outside vendors, extensive contacts, and the ability to cope with change. Production budgeting and scheduling experience is required as well as the following:
• 7 years experience in pre-production through post-production for long form programming
• Strong organizational skills with a keen attention to detail which will ensure the production process runs smoothly and efficiently.
• The ability to appreciate different points of view, yet wholeheartedly embrace the culture of BET Networks.
• A strong understanding of the television production process and working familiarity with the various entertainment guilds and unions for film and TV including without limitation SAG-AFTRA, DGA, WGA and IATSE.
• Proven track record of fostering, building and maintaining relationships with key external and internal clients.
• A high integrity level and a passion for, and caring about, the quality of programming that airs on the network.
• Experience building and working as part of a cohesive team.
• Flexibility and the ability to perform effectively under stress and meet deadlines.
• A high-energy level and the ability to manage through a period of change and growth.
• The ability to work at the strategic level as well as operating day-to-day activities.
• Extremely goal-oriented with the ability to prioritize.
• Team building skills that develop people to their fullest potential.
• Excellent communications and relationship skills.
A bachelor's degree in a related field is desired or equivalent work experience.